Capital Accumulation And Trade Policy:The Case Of Korea
This paper investigates whether there are any systematic links between Domestic savings and export growth in light of the Korean experience, beginning with the early 1960s when trade policy shifted from an inward to outward orientation. The paper also examines how domestic investment might have been affected by the trade reforms. The study reveals that the impressive growth of Korea's domestic savings over the 1960-95 period owes in no small part to the Trade reforms and the subsequent rapid growth of exports. Evidence also Suggests that the long-lasting investment boom experienced by Korea over the 1960-95 period was initiated and maintained to a significant degree by the trade reform of the 1960s and thereafter. [F43, E21].
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laumas, Prem S, 1982. "Exports and the Propensity to Save," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(4), pages 831-41, July.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1997.
"North-South R&D Spillovers,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 134-49, January.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee, Joong-Koon, 1971. "Exports and the Propensity to Save in L.D.C.s," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(322), pages 341-51, June.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1980.
"Trade Policy as an Input to Development,"
NBER Working Papers
0466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1993. "International RandD Spillovers," IMF Working Papers 93/84, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:14:y:2000:i:1:p:111-131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.