Time Series Analysis of Transatlantic Market Interactions: Evidence from Crude Oil and Gasoline Prices
This paper investigates the interactions of spot markets for crude oil and regular gasoline in a transatlantic context. A cointegrated vector autoregressive (VAR) system is estimated using weekly time series data for spot prices of representative crude oil and regular gasoline in Europe and the US. The cointegrated VAR analysis shows that the US crude oil plays the role of long-run price leadership, influencing the price determination of the other commodities in the VAR system. Cointegrating vectors are then normalized and restricted so that the underlying long-run market interactions may be interpreted in terms of causal chains. Finally, a parsimonious equilibrium correction system is estimated in order to reveal the short-run market interactions.
Volume (Year): 9 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron & Richard Gilbert, 1997.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-339.
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," NBER Working Papers 4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takamitsu Kurita, 2007. "A dynamic econometric system for the real yen–dollar rate," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 115-149, July.
- Chen, Li-Hsueh & Finney, Miles & Lai, Kon S., 2005. "A threshold cointegration analysis of asymmetric price transmission from crude oil to gasoline prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 233-239, November.
- David F. Hendry & Katarina Juselius, 2001. "Explaining Cointegration Analysis: Part II," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 75-120.
- David F. Hendry & Katarina Juselius, 2000. "Explaining Cointegration Analysis: Part 1," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-42.
- Katarina Juselius & David F. Hendry, 2000. "Explaining Cointegration Analysis: Part II," Discussion Papers 00-20, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:9:y:2010:i:2:p:157-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.