Foreign Aid and Urbanization in Developing Countries
This paper examines whether developing countries receiving more foreign aid also have higher rates of urbanization. After presenting a simple theoretical model, empirical work is conducted on a cross-section of countries during the 1990s. The paper finds that foreign aid is positively associated with subsequent urbanization even after controlling for income levels, population, and regional characteristics. If this association is given a causal interpretation, the results indicate that foreign aid enlarges urban areas.
Volume (Year): 7 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, Martin, 2002.
"On the urbanization of poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 435-442, August.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "On the urbanization of poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2586, The World Bank.
- Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David, 1999. "Foreign aid and population policy: some ethical considerations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 203-232, August.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldon, D., 1995. "Foreign Aid and Population Policy: Some Ethical Considerations," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a23, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldson, D., 1996. "Foreign Aid and Population Policy: Some Ethical Considerations," Working Papers 9608, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996. "Trade policy and the Third World metropolis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992. "Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis," NBER Working Papers 4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Shukla, Vibhooti & Stark, Oded, 1990. "Policy comparisons with an agglomeration effects-augmented dual economy model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Moomaw, Ronald L. & Shatter, Ali M., 1996. "Urbanization and Economic Development: A Bias toward Large Cities?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 13-37, July.
- Judith Giles, 1994. "Another look at the evidence on foreign aid led economic growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(11), pages 194-199.
- Jie Zhang, 2002. "Urbanization, population transition, and growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-641, September.
- Nyoni, Timothy S., 1998. "Foreign Aid and Economic Performance in Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1235-1240, July.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Moore, Tomoe, 2005. "Impact of World Bank lending in an adjustment-led growth model," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 366-383, December.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Donald W. Snyder, 1996. "Foreign aid and private investment in developing economies," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 735-745.
- Henderson, Vernon, 2003. "The Urbanization Process and Economic Growth: The So-What Question," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 47-71, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)