Foreign Aid and Urbanization in Developing Countries
This paper examines whether developing countries receiving more foreign aid also have higher rates of urbanization. After presenting a simple theoretical model, empirical work is conducted on a cross-section of countries during the 1990s. The paper finds that foreign aid is positively associated with subsequent urbanization even after controlling for income levels, population, and regional characteristics. If this association is given a causal interpretation, the results indicate that foreign aid enlarges urban areas.
Volume (Year): 7 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David, 1999.
"Foreign aid and population policy: some ethical considerations,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 203-232, August.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldon, D., 1995. "Foreign Aid and Population Policy: Some Ethical Considerations," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a23, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldson, D., 1996. "Foreign Aid and Population Policy: Some Ethical Considerations," Working Papers 9608, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-41, September.
- Nyoni, Timothy S., 1998. "Foreign Aid and Economic Performance in Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1235-1240, July.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2002.
"On the urbanization of poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 435-442, August.
- Donald W. Snyder, 1996. "Foreign aid and private investment in developing economies," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 735-745.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Shukla, Vibhooti & Stark, Oded, 1990. "Policy comparisons with an agglomeration effects-augmented dual economy model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992.
"Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis,"
NBER Working Papers
4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jie Zhang, 2002. "Urbanization, population transition, and growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
" Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Moomaw, Ronald L. & Shatter, Ali M., 1996. "Urbanization and Economic Development: A Bias toward Large Cities?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 13-37, July.
- Judith Giles, 1994. "Another look at the evidence on foreign aid led economic growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(11), pages 194-199.
- Henderson, Vernon, 2003. " The Urbanization Process and Economic Growth: The So-What Question," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 47-71, March.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Moore, Tomoe, 2005. "Impact of World Bank lending in an adjustment-led growth model," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 366-383, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:7:y:2008:i:2:p:153-166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.