Venture Capital and Risk in High-Technology Enterprises
We find UK investors and entrepreneurs are significantly concordant in rankings of investments and key factors for risk but significantly discordant on risk classes. Investors emphasise agency risk (e.g., motivation, empowerment, alignment), and entrepreneurs emphasise business risk (e.g., market opportunities).
Volume (Year): 2 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Siegel, Daniel R & Thakor, Anjan V, 1990. "Learning, Corporate Control and Performance Requirements in Venture Capital Contracts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 365-81, May.
- Lefley, Frank, 1997. "Approaches to risk and uncertainty in the appraisal of new technology capital projects," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 21-33, November.
- Murray, Gordon C. & Marriott, Richard, 1998. "Why has the investment performance of technology-specialist, European venture capital funds been so poor?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 947-976, December.
- Gavin C Reid, 2000. "Information System Development in the Small Firm," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0002, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C Reid & Julia A Smith, 1999. "The Impact of Contingencies on Information System Development," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9918, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & Schotman, Peter C, 2001.
"Measuring Risk Attitudes in a Natural Experiment: Data from the Television Game Show Lingo,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(474), pages 821-48, October.
- Beetsma, Roel & Schotman, Peter C, 1998. "Measuring Risk Attitudes in a Natural Experiment: Data from the Television Game Show LINGO," CEPR Discussion Papers 1893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Schotman, P.C., 1998. "Measuring Risk Attitudes in a Natural Experiment: Data from The Television Game Show LINGO," Papers 98-48, Southern California - School of Business Administration.
- Francis, Jennifer & Smith, Abbie, 1995. "Agency costs and innovation some empirical evidence," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 383-409, April.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C Reid, 1998.
"The Application of Principal-Agent Methods to Investor-Investee Relations in the UK Venture Capital Industry,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9810, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C. Reid, 1999. "The application of principal-agent methods to investor-investee relations in the UK venture capital industry," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 285-302, October.
- Gavin C Reid, 1994. "Fast Growing Small Entrepreneurial Firms and their Venture Capital Backers: an Applied Principal-Agent Analysis," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9421, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1973. "The Economic Theory of Agency: The Principal's Problem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 134-39, May.
- Bricker, Robert & Chandar, Nandini, 2000. "Where Berle and Means went wrong: a reassessment of capital market agency and financial reporting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 529-554, August.
- Yuk-Shee Chan., 1982.
"On the Positive Role of Financial Intermediation in Allocation of Venture Capital in a Market with Imperfect Information,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
127, University of California at Berkeley.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee, 1983. " On the Positive Role of Financial Intermediation in Allocation of Venture Capital in a Market with Imperfect Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1543-68, December.
- Bhattacharyya, Sugato & Leach, J Chris, 1999. "Risk Spillovers and Required Returns in Capital Budgeting," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 461-79.
- repec:wuk:andedp:9616 is not listed on IDEAS
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:2:y:2003:i:3:p:227-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.