Improving the Forecasting Power of Volatility Models
Volatility models have been extensively used in risk modeling especially GARCH models under the normal distribution. Although they generate highly significant coefficient estimates, these models are known to have poor forecasting power. It is therefore interesting to develop a different approach of risk modeling to improve forecasting results. By using the generalized t-distribution in modeling the changes in the distribution of stock index returns, the results show a significant improvement in the forecasting power. Moreover, Monte Carlo simulations have confirmed that the index returns are better explained by ARCH-type models.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/Accounting-Finance-Journal|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Marsaglia & Wai Wan Tsang, . "The Ziggurat Method for Generating Random Variables," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(i08).
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," Papers 89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-leung Chong, 2005. "Autoregressive Lag Length Selection Criteria in the Presence of ARCH Errors," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(19), pages 1-5.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijaraf:v:2:y:2012:i:3:p:51-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.