The Need to Amend IMO’s EEDI to Include a Threshold for Performance in Waves (Realistic Sea Conditions) to Achieve the Desired GHG Reductions
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Lindstad, Haakon & Asbjørnslett, Bjørn E. & Strømman, Anders H., 2011. "Reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and cost by shipping at lower speeds," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3456-3464, June.
- Bengtsson, Selma & Fridell, Erik & Andersson, Karin, 2012. "Environmental assessment of two pathways towards the use of biofuels in shipping," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 451-463.
- Thomson, Heather & Corbett, James J. & Winebrake, James J., 2015. "Natural gas as a marine fuel," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 153-167.
- Dadd, George M. & Hudson, Dominic A. & Shenoi, R.A., 2011. "Determination of kite forces using three-dimensional flight trajectories for ship propulsion," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 2667-2678.
- Traut, Michael & Gilbert, Paul & Walsh, Conor & Bows, Alice & Filippone, Antonio & Stansby, Peter & Wood, Ruth, 2014. "Propulsive power contribution of a kite and a Flettner rotor on selected shipping routes," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 362-372.
- Rojon, Isabelle & Dieperink, Carel, 2014. "Blowin' in the wind? Drivers and barriers for the uptake of wind propulsion in international shipping," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 394-402.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George Panagakos & Thiago de Sousa Pessôa & Nick Dessypris & Michael Bruhn Barfod & Harilaos N. Psaraftis, 2019. "Monitoring the Carbon Footprint of Dry Bulk Shipping in the EU: An Early Assessment of the MRV Regulation," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(18), pages 1-19, September.
- Patrizia Serra & Gianfranco Fancello, 2020. "Towards the IMO’s GHG Goals: A Critical Overview of the Perspectives and Challenges of the Main Options for Decarbonizing International Shipping," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(8), pages 1-32, April.
- Sandro Vidas & Marijan Cukrov & Valentina Šutalo & Smiljko Rudan, 2021. "CO 2 Emissions Reduction Measures for RO-RO Vessels on Non-Profitable Coastal Liner Passenger Transport," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(12), pages 1-15, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Xing, Hui & Spence, Stephen & Chen, Hua, 2020. "A comprehensive review on countermeasures for CO2 emissions from ships," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 134(C).
- Grusche J. Seithe & Alexandra Bonou & Dimitrios Giannopoulos & Chariklia A. Georgopoulou & Maria Founti, 2020. "Maritime Transport in a Life Cycle Perspective: How Fuels, Vessel Types, and Operational Profiles Influence Energy Demand and Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(11), pages 1-20, May.
- Ling-Chin, Janie & Roskilly, Anthony P., 2016. "Investigating the implications of a new-build hybrid power system for Roll-on/Roll-off cargo ships from a sustainability perspective – A life cycle assessment case study," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 181(C), pages 416-434.
- Al Baroudi, Hisham & Awoyomi, Adeola & Patchigolla, Kumar & Jonnalagadda, Kranthi & Anthony, E.J., 2021. "A review of large-scale CO2 shipping and marine emissions management for carbon capture, utilisation and storage," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 287(C).
- Todd Chou & Vasileios Kosmas & Michele Acciaro & Katharina Renken, 2021. "A Comeback of Wind Power in Shipping: An Economic and Operational Review on the Wind-Assisted Ship Propulsion Technology," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(4), pages 1-16, February.
- Ronald A. Halim & Lucie Kirstein & Olaf Merk & Luis M. Martinez, 2018. "Decarbonization Pathways for International Maritime Transport: A Model-Based Policy Impact Assessment," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(7), pages 1-30, June.
- ben Brahim, Till & Wiese, Frauke & Münster, Marie, 2019. "Pathways to climate-neutral shipping: A Danish case study," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 188(C).
- Pan, Pengcheng & Sun, Yuwei & Yuan, Chengqing & Yan, Xinping & Tang, Xujing, 2021. "Research progress on ship power systems integrated with new energy sources: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 144(C).
- Nuchturee, Chalermkiat & Li, Tie & Xia, Hongpu, 2020. "Energy efficiency of integrated electric propulsion for ships – A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 134(C).
- Balcombe, Paul & Staffell, Iain & Kerdan, Ivan Garcia & Speirs, Jamie F. & Brandon, Nigel P. & Hawkes, Adam D., 2021. "How can LNG-fuelled ships meet decarbonisation targets? An environmental and economic analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 227(C).
- Park, Hyunjun & Lee, Sanghuk & Jeong, Jinyeong & Chang, Daejun, 2018. "Design of the compressor-assisted LNG fuel gas supply system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 158(C), pages 1017-1027.
- Lindstad, Haakon & Bright, Ryan M. & Strømman, Anders H., 2016. "Economic savings linked to future Arctic shipping trade are at odds with climate change mitigation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 24-30.
- Van Chien Pham & Jae-Hyuk Choi & Beom-Seok Rho & Jun-Soo Kim & Kyunam Park & Sang-Kyun Park & Van Vang Le & Won-Ju Lee, 2021. "A Numerical Study on the Combustion Process and Emission Characteristics of a Natural Gas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Marine Engine at Full Load," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 14(5), pages 1-28, March.
- Christophe Savard & Anni Nikulina & Céline Mécemmène & Elizaveta Mokhova, 2020. "The Electrification of Ships Using the Northern Sea Route: An Approach," Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Rasoulinezhad, Ehsan & Taghizadeh-Hesary, Farhad & Yoshino, Naoyuki & Sarker, Tapan, 2019. "Russian Federation–East Asia Liquefied Natural Gas Trade Patterns and Regional Energy Security," ADBI Working Papers 965, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Sofia Dahlgren & Jonas Ammenberg, 2021. "Sustainability Assessment of Public Transport, Part II—Applying a Multi-Criteria Assessment Method to Compare Different Bus Technologies," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(3), pages 1-30, January.
- Yewen Gu & Stein W. Wallace & Xin Wang, 2017.
"The Impact of Bunker Risk Management on CO2 Emissions in Maritime Transportation Under ECA Regulation,"
Springer Optimization and Its Applications, in: Didem Cinar & Konstantinos Gakis & Panos M. Pardalos (ed.), Sustainable Logistics and Transportation, pages 199-224,
- Gu, Yewen & Wallace, Stein W. & Wang, Xin, 2016. "The Impact of Bunker Risk Management on CO2 Emissions in Maritime Transportation Under ECA Regulation," Discussion Papers 2016/17, Norwegian School of Economics, Department of Business and Management Science.
- Kian-Guan Lim & Michelle Lim, 2020. "Financial performance of shipping firms that increase LNG carriers and the support of eco-innovation," Journal of Shipping and Trade, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-25, December.
- Anastasia Christodoulou & Kevin Cullinane, 0. "Potential for, and drivers of, private voluntary initiatives for the decarbonisation of short sea shipping: evidence from a Swedish ferry line," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 0, pages 1-23.
- Ilnytskyy Denys & Zinchenko Sergii & Savych Oleksandr & Yanchetskyy Oleksandr, 2018. "Analysis of seaports development strategies: science, technology, education and marketing," Technology audit and production reserves, 3(41) 2018, Socionet;Technology audit and production reserves, vol. 3(4(41)), pages 10-24.
More about this item
Keywordsmaritime transport; performance in real sea; sea trial test; EEDI; IMO;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:13:p:3668-:d:245521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.mdpi.com/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: XML Conversion Team (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.mdpi.com/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.