International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland
The authors document the provision of liquidity in Swiss francs (CHF) by the Swiss National Bank (SNB) to banks located outside Switzerland during the recent financial crisis. What makes the Swiss case special is the size of this liquidity provision—at times, 80 percent of all short-term CHF liquidity provided by the SNB—and the measures adopted to distribute this liquidity. In addition to making CHF available to other central banks via swap facilities, the SNB also allows banks outside Switzerland to directly participate in its repurchase agreement transactions. Although this policy was adopted for reasons predating the 2007-09 financial crisis, it proved tremendously helpful during the crisis by providing the European banking system direct access to the primary funding facility for CHF.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://files.stlouisfed.org/files/htdocs/publications/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2010.
"Selective swap arrangements and the global financial crisis: Analysis and interpretation,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 353-365, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," NBER Working Papers 14821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2vw7s14s, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2006. "Monetary base," Working Papers 2006-049, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2009. "Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2009. "Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms," Working Papers 2009-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Beer, Christian & Ongena, Steven & Peter, Marcel, 2010. "Borrowing in foreign currency: Austrian households as carry traders," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2198-2211, September.
- Christian Beer & Steven Ongena & Marcel Peter, 2008. "Borrowing in Foreign Currency: Austrian Households as Carry Traders," Working Papers 2008-19, Swiss National Bank.
- Basil Guggenheim & Sébastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Silvio Schumacher, 2011. "Exploring an uncharted market: Evidence on the unsecured Swiss franc money market," Working Papers 2011-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Richard G. Anderson & Charles S. Gascon & Yang Liu, 2010. "Doubling your monetary base and surviving: some international experience," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 481-506. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)