Financial development and growth
Poor performance by the financial sector can be costly for society. On the other hand, a healthy banking sector has been thought by some to contribute to the growth of the economy. Recently, though, economists have begun to analyze new elements of the linkages between the financial and real sides of the economy. ; This article provides an illustrative model that is meant to capture current thinking about the ways in which financial intermediaries affect growth. The model shows how households, firms, and financial intermediaries interact to determine equilibrium growth rates and various interest rates and rate spreads. It is also used to discuss the effects of repressive financial policies such as reserve requirements, interest rate controls, and entry limitations such as barriers to interstate banking. ; The authors survey recent empirical literature on growth and financial intermediation, which has shown that different measures of financial development are positively correlated with economic growth rates. They conclude that although there have been some attempts to quantify the effect of financial repression, attempting precise policy recommendations would be premature.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Q 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1000 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30309|
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1994. "Market conduct and aggregate excess capacity in banking: a cross- country comparison," Working Papers 93-28/R, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1990.
"Technological Choice, Financial Markets and Economic Development,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-30, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "Technological choice, financial markets and economic development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 763-781, May.
- Nouriel Roubini & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Financial Repression and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sussman, Oren & Zeira, Joseph, 1995. "Banking and Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 1127, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mayer, Colin, 1988.
"New issues in corporate finance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1167-1183, June.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1988. "New issues in corporate finance : Colin Mayer," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1183-1186, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedaer:y:1997:i:q4:p:46-62:n:v.82no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.