Does Tax Debt Capacity Matttter?
Nordic corporations to a large extent both pay corporate tax and abstain from utilizing their depreciation allowances to the maximum extent possible. In this paper, we attempt to explain the empirical observation that most firms fails to maximize their tax usage. The model employed takes into account the argument that shareholders for some non-tax reasons have a preference for dividends over retained earnings. Furthermore, we also investigate whether a policy of not claiming the maximum amount of depreciation allowances could be value maximizing for the firm.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jason G. Cummins & Trevor S. Harris & Kevin A. Hassett, 1994.
"Accounting Standards, Information Flow, and Firm Investment Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason Cummins & Trevor Harris & Kevin Hassett, 1995. "Accounting Standards, Information Flow, and Firm Investment Behavior," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations, pages 181-224 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Taxation, corporate financial policy, and the cost of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1995. "The importance of reporting conventions for the theory of corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-430, July.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. "Costs of monitoring and corporate taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 307-321, October.
- Osterberg, William P., 1989. "Tobin's q, investment, and the endogenous adjustment of financial structure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 293-318, December.
- Boadway, Robin W, 1978. "Investment Incentives, Corporate Taxation, and Efficiency in the Allocation of Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 470-481, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Credit Markets and the Control of Capital," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(2), pages 133-152, May.
- Mervyn A. King, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-940, September.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Eades, Kenneth M., 1982. "Empirical Evidence on Dividends as a Signal of Firm Value," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 471-500, November.
- Hovick Shahnazarian, 1997. "A theoretical evaluation of the Swedish corporate tax reform act of 1994," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 67-80, Autumn.
- Robin Boadway, 1980.
"Corporate Taxation and Investment: A Synthesis of the Neo-Classical Theory,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 250-267, May.
- Robin Boadway, 1979. "Corporate Taxation and Investment: A Synthesis of the NeoClassical Theory," Working Papers 324, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, R. W. & Bruce, N., 1979. "Depreciation and interest deductions and the effect of the corporation income tax on investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1974. "Investment Incentives and the Corporate Income Tax," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages 287-302, Part I, M.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:22:y:2009:i:1:p:21-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.