R&D Activity, Exports, and Changes in Skill Demand in Finland
During the 1990’s the Finnish economy experienced a rapid increase in exports and R&D activity. This paper investigates the impact of these phenomena on the skill structure of labour demand using panel data on Finnish establishments for 1988–2001. Worker’s skill level is defined by both education and age. The results indicate that despite the general shift in employment towards the highly educated and older workers, the selected technology and trade indicators – R&D intensity and export share – did not have a significant effect on the changes in the skill demand within manufacturing sector plants in Finland during the period.
Volume (Year): 18 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julia I. Lane & John C. Haltiwanger & James Spletzer, 1999. "Productivity Differences across Employers: The Roles of Employer Size, Age, and Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 94-98, May.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:117:y:2002:i:1:p:339-376 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001.
"The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:1:p:253-90 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Jensen, J. Bradford, 1997.
"Exporters, skill upgrading, and the wage gap,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 3-31, February.
- Bradford J Jensen & Andrew B Bernard, 1994. "Exporters, Skill Upgrading And The Wage Gap," Working Papers 94-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Bernard, A.B. & Jensen, J.B., 1994. "Exporters, Skill Upgrading, and the Wage Gap," Working papers 94-30, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn MacDonald & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004.
"The Economics of Has-beens,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(S1), pages S289-S310, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:18:y:2005:i:2:p:72-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.