Inflation Differentials in New EU Member States: Empirical Evidence
In this paper, the authors examine the determinants of inflation differentials in a panel of the new European Union member states vis-a-vis the euro area in 1997–2007. Their main results are as follows. Exchange rate appreciation and a higher price level in the new EU members is associated with a narrower inflation differential vis-a-vis the euro area, while a fiscal deficit and a positive output gap seem to contribute to a higher inflation differential. Nevertheless, the effect of price convergence on inflation differentials is found to be dominant in these countries, suggesting that a country with a price level 20 % below the euro area average is likely to exhibit inflation nearly one percentage point above that in the euro area. Overall, the authors´ results indicate that real convergence factors rather than cyclical variation are more important for inflation developments in the new EU members as compared to the euro area.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 07-08 (Oktober)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Cihak & Tomas Holub, 2005. "Price Convergence in EU-Accession Countries: Evidence from the International Comparison," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 102, pages 59-82.
- Filippo Altissimo & Pierpaolo Benigno & Diego Rodriguez Palenzuela, 2005.
"Long-Run Determinants of Inflation Differentials in a Monetary Union,"
NBER Working Papers
11473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Benigno, Pierpaolo & Rodriguez Palenzuela, Diego, 2005. "Long-Run Determinants of Inflation Differentials in a Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 5149, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2006.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues ,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 257-324, 04.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 4809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bal??zs ??gert, & L??szl?? Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp793, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," Working Papers 106, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Balazs Egert, 2007.
"Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp895, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Egert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 2127, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation Differentials in Europe," Working Papers 138, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Angeloni Ignazio & Ehrmann Michael, 2007.
"Euro Area Inflation Differentials,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-36, August.
- Balázs Égert, 2007. "Real Convergence, Price Level Convergence and Inflation in Europe," Working Papers 267, Bruegel.
- Emil STAVREV, 2006. "Driving Forces of Inflation in New EU Countries (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 56(5-6), pages 246-257, May.
- Hofmann, Boris & Remsperger, Hermann, 2005. "Inflation differentials among the Euro area countries: Potential causes and consequences," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 403-419, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:58:y:2008:i:7-8:p:318-328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.