Cartels in the Kautiliya Arthasastra
This paper examines the legal-economic dimension of collusive manipulation of prices from the perspective of the Kautiliya Arthasastra, an ancient Indian treatise on law and statecraft, which is among the oldest sources of information about cartels. It identifies cartels in the treatise, shows that cartels were treated more severely than individuals who manipulated prices, assesses the efficacy of penalties from the perspective of deterrence, and discusses the evolution of relevant laws. The economic analysis presented in the paper throws new light on the controversy surrounding the internal consistency of the Arthasastra. The paper also highlights the need to take note of the moral-legal environment within which pre-modern markets operated before studying them with the help of models developed for modern markets.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://auco.cuni.cz/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Geoffrey P, 1993. "Ritual and Regulation: A Legal-Economic Interpretation of Selected Biblical Texts," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 477-501, June.
- Vikas Kumar, 2008.
"A Critical review of economic analyses of religion,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2008-023, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Vikas Kumar, 2008. "A Critical Review of Economic Analyses of Religion," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22368, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert B. Ekelund Jr. & Robert F. Hebert & Robert D. Tollison, 2008. "The Marketplace of Christianity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550717, March.
- Miller, Geoffrey P, 1993. "Contracts of Genesis," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 15-45, January.
- Steven J. Brams, 2011.
"Game Theory and the Humanities: Bridging Two Worlds,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015226, March.
- Brams, Steven J., 2012. "Game Theory and the Humanities: Bridging Two Worlds," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262518252, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:aucocz:au2012_059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.