Aspetti economici del "Libro Bianco del Ministero del Lavoro"
Aspetti economici del "Libro Bianco del Ministero del Lavoro" (di Lilia Costabile) - ABSTRACT: This paper examines the recent White Book of the Italian Ministry of Labour, and its proposals for reforming the Italian labour market. A careful scrutiny of this document’s arguments shows that the White Book’s "reformism" is not well grounded. Using both empirical and theoretical arguments, this article shows: (i) that substantial wage moderation, together with widening wage differentials between Northern and Southern Italy, do not lend support to the White Paper’s arguments underlying its proposal that the contractual mechanism and the incomes policy introduced in 1993 should be abandoned; (ii) that the proposed reforms in the norms concerning firing costs and contractal typologies may provide the wrong incentives to firms, by encouraging them to substitute short term, fragile employment relations for long term, robust ones, thus contributing to lower human capital investment and deteriorating economic performance.
Volume (Year): 2002/77 (2002)
Issue (Month): 77 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven G. Allen & Robert L. Clark & Sylvester J. Schieber, 1999. "Has Job Security Vanished in Large Corporations?," NBER Working Papers 6966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Destefanis, 2001. "Differenziali Territoriali di Produttivita' ed Efficienza negli Anni '90: i Livelli e l'Andamento," CELPE Discussion Papers 59, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997. "Contractual Fragility, Job Destruction, and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 873-911.
- Destefanis, Sergio, 2000.
"Differenziali territoriali di produttività ed efficienza e sviluppo dualistico
[Territorial differences in productivity and efficiency and Italian dualism]," MPRA Paper 62065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Topel, Robert H, 1991.
"Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 145-176, February.
- Robert H. Topel, 1990. "Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority," NBER Working Papers 3294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1997. "Persistent Effects of Job Displacement: The Importance of Multiple Job Losses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 165-188, January.
- Costabile Lilia & Papagni Erasmo, 1998. "Dinamica dell'occupazione, salari e innovazione nell'industria italiana," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 363-394. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:steste:v:html10.3280/ste2002-077007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.