Aspetti economici del "Libro Bianco del Ministero del Lavoro"
Aspetti economici del "Libro Bianco del Ministero del Lavoro" (di Lilia Costabile) - ABSTRACT: This paper examines the recent White Book of the Italian Ministry of Labour, and its proposals for reforming the Italian labour market. A careful scrutiny of this document’s arguments shows that the White Book’s "reformism" is not well grounded. Using both empirical and theoretical arguments, this article shows: (i) that substantial wage moderation, together with widening wage differentials between Northern and Southern Italy, do not lend support to the White Paper’s arguments underlying its proposal that the contractual mechanism and the incomes policy introduced in 1993 should be abandoned; (ii) that the proposed reforms in the norms concerning firing costs and contractal typologies may provide the wrong incentives to firms, by encouraging them to substitute short term, fragile employment relations for long term, robust ones, thus contributing to lower human capital investment and deteriorating economic performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2002/77 (2002)
Issue (Month): 77 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Destefanis, 2001. "Differenziali Territoriali di Produttivita' ed Efficienza negli Anni '90: i Livelli e l'Andamento," CELPE Discussion Papers 59, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997. "Contractual Fragility, Job Destruction, and Business Cycles," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 873-911.
- Destefanis, Sergio, 2000.
"Differenziali territoriali di produttività ed efficienza e sviluppo dualistico
[Territorial differences in productivity and efficiency and Italian dualism]," MPRA Paper 62065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Robert H. Topel, 1990.
"Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority,"
NBER Working Papers
3294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H, 1991. "Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 145-176, February.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1997. "Persistent Effects of Job Displacement: The Importance of Multiple Job Losses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 165-188, January.
- Steven G. Allen & Robert L. Clark & Sylvester J. Schieber, 1999. "Has Job Security Vanished in Large Corporations?," NBER Working Papers 6966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costabile Lilia & Papagni Erasmo, 1998. "Dinamica dell'occupazione, salari e innovazione nell'industria italiana," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 363-394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:steste:v:html10.3280/ste2002-077007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.