The Greek Bank-Insurance Model: A Look At A Not-So-New Corporate Structure
One of the notable characteristics of modern financial markets is the convergence among financial institutions, which until recently preformed different tasks. To this end, the present study explores the bank-insurance phenomenon in the Greek market. It focuses on the development of financial conglomerates in the region, while arguing that the phenomenon is not as new as one would expect. A variant of the bank-insurance approach to financial services seems to have dominated the Greek market for over a century. An analysis of recent developments is also presented, with the evidence indicating a trend towards multi-venture partnerships as well as active involvement of multinational enterprises.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698, December.
- Lutgart Van den Berghe & Kurt Verweire, 2001.
"Convergence in the Financial Services Industry*,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 173-183, April.
- Lutgart Van den Berghe & Kurt Verweire, 2000. "Convergence in the Financial Services Industry*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 262-272, April.
- Black, Fischer & Miller, Merton H & Posner, Richard A, 1978. "An Approach to the Regulation of Bank Holding Companies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 379-412, July.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Heron, Randall A., 2002. "Capital market reactions to the passage of the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 465-485.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-82, February.
- Panayiotis G. Artikis & Stanley Mutenga & Sotiris K. Staikouras, 2008. "A practical approach to blend insurance in the banking network," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 106-124, March.
- Santomero, Anthony M., 1989. "The changing structure of financial institutions: a review essay," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 321-328, September.
- Saunders, Anthony, 1994. "Banking and commerce: An overview of the public policy issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 231-254, January.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Kane, Edward J., 2002.
"Event-study evidence of the value of relaxing long-standing regulatory restraints on banks, 1970-2000,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 439-463.
- Kenneth A. Carow & Edward J. Kane, 2001. "Event-Study Evidence of the Value of Relaxing Longstanding Regulatory Restraints on Banks, 1970-2000," NBER Working Papers 8594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kane, Edward J, 1988. "Interaction of Financial and Regulatory Innovation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 328-34, May.
- Saunders, Anthony, 1999. "Consolidation and universal banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 693-695, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:xi:y:2008:i:3:p:25-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.