Female Employment and Entrepreneurship: Career Choice Trends in Greece
A fundamental issue in entrepreneurial research is women’s vocational choice as it affects entrepreneurial intentions regarding traditional vs. nontraditional sectors. Present trends in female entrepreneurship in Greece were investigated using official national databases regarding newly registered firms. A considerable change in women’s vocational patters towards entrepreneurship was evident although traditional trends seemed to persist and the majority of newly founded female enterprises were in the service sector. However, a marked increase in the number of women who pursue careers in technical occupations points towards new directions for female employment away from traditional roles and more compatible with their personal aspirations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buttner, E. Holly & Rosen, Benson, 1988. "Bank loan officers' perceptions of the characteristics of men, women, and successful entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 249-258.
- Carter, Nancy M. & Williams, Mary & Reynolds, Paul D., 1997. "Discontinuance among new firms in retail: The influence of initial resources, strategy, and gender," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 125-145, March.
- Smith, P. C. & Vozikis, S. G. & Merikas, A., 2000. "Privatization, Management Education and Entrepreneurship: The Sine Qua Non Conditions for Economic Development in Eastern Europe," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 67-78, January -.
- Anna, Alexandra L. & Chandler, Gaylen N. & Jansen, Erik & Mero, Neal P., 2000. "Women business owners in traditional and non-traditional industries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-303, May.
- Cromie, Stan & Birley, Sue, 1992. "Networking by female business owners in Northern Ireland," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 237-251, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:viii:y:2005:i:3-4:p:59-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.