An Empirical Evaluation of the Relationship between Trade Openness and External Debt: Turkish Case
This paper aims to analyze the empirical relationship between trade openness and external debt for the Turkish economy, using quarterly time series data from the 1990:1-2012:2 periods. We utilize the bounds testing procedure to establish the cointegration relationship among variables and the ARDL analysis to detect short run and log run static effects. We support the results from the ARDL model through the application of GMM estimation, achieved with different model definitions. Empirical results indicate that increasing trade openness affects external debt positively in both the short run and long run.
Volume (Year): 6 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sairler Sokak, No:32/C, Gaziosmanpasa, Ankara, Turkey|
Phone: + 90 312 447 51 95
Fax: + 90 312 447 51 95
Web page: http://www.era.org.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Applications of Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 87-100, Fall.
- Emilio Colombo, 2009. "The Politics of External Debt in Developing Countries," Working Papers 176, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Harrison, Ann, 1996.
"Openness and growth: A time-series, cross-country analysis for developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 419-447, March.
- Harrison, Ann, 1991. "Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 809, The World Bank.
- Ann Harrison, 1995. "Openness and Growth: A Time-Series, Cross-Country Analysis for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 5221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dardana Rruka, 2004. "Decoding the Effects of Trade Volume and Trade Policies on Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Investigation," International Trade 0405003, EconWPA.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erh:journl:v:6:y:2014:i:1:p:42-58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. F. Cosar)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.