Challenges for use of index-based weather insurance in lower income countries
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Binswanger, Hans P, 1993.
"Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 56-78, January.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1989. "Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments," Bulletins 7455, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1992. "Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1055, The World Bank.
- Dercon, Stefan, 1998.
"Wealth, risk and activity choice: cattle in Western Tanzania,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, pages 1-42.
- Stefan Dercon, 1996. "Wealth, risk and activity choices: cattle in Western Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 1996-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002.
"Can financial markets be tapped to help poor people cope with weather risks ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2812, The World Bank.
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002. "Can Financial Markets be Tapped to Help Poor People Cope with Weather Risks?," WIDER Working Paper Series 023, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Barnett, Barry J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Poverty Traps and Index-Based Risk Transfer Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1766-1785, October.
- Goes, Anne & Skees, Jerry R., 2003. "Financing Natural Disaster Risk Using Charity Contributions And Ex Ante Index Insurance," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22188, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David J Hofman & Patricia A Brukoff, 2006. "Insuring Public Finances Against Natural Disasters; A Survey of Options and Recent Initiatives," IMF Working Papers 06/199, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Turvey, Calum G. & Chantarat, Sommarat, 2006. "Weather-Linked Bonds," Proceedings: 2006 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 2-3, 2006; Washington, DC 133091, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Neil A. Doherty, 1997. "Financial Innovation in the Management of Catastrophe Risk," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-12, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hogarth, Robin M & Kunreuther, Howard, 1989. "Risk, Ambiguity, and Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 5-35, April.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2007. "Absolute poverty measures for the developing world, 1981-2004," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4211, The World Bank.
- Colin F. Camerer & Howard Kunreuther, 1989. "Decision processes for low probability events: Policy implications," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 565-592.
- John G. McPeak & Christopher B. Barrett, 2001. "Differential Risk Exposure and Stochastic Poverty Traps Among East African Pastoralists," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 674-679.
- Neil A. Doherty, 1997. "Financial Innovation in the Management of Catastrophe Risk," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 10(3), pages 84-95.
- Jerry R. Skees & Barry J. Barnett, 2006. "Enhancing microfinance using index-based risk-transfer products," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 66(2), pages 235-250, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kemeze, Francis H. & Miranda, Mario J. & Kuwornu, John & Amin-Somuah, Henry, 2016. "Optimal Management of Runoff Reservoir Supply: The Case of Tono Reservoir in Northern Ghana," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 236030, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Daron, Joseph D. & Stainforth, David A., 2014. "Assessing pricing assumptions for weather index insurance in a changing climate," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59154, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sommarat Chantarat, 2015. "Index-based Risk Financing and Development of Natural Disaster Insurance Programs in Developing Countries," PIER Discussion Papers 10., Puey Ungphakorn Institute for Economic Research, revised Nov 2015.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Sumner, Daniel A., 2012. "Agricultural technologies for climate change in developing countries: Policy options for innovation and technology diffusion," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 114-123.
- Liu, Xianglin & Tang, Yingmei & Miranda, Mario J., 2015. "Does Past Experience in Natural Disasters Affect Willingness-to-Pay for Weather Index Insurance? Evidence from China," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205374, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association;Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Muamba, Francis M. & Ulimwengu, John M., 2010. "Optimal rainfall insurance contracts for maize producers in Ghana’s Northern Region," IFPRI discussion papers 1016, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Müller, Birgit & Quaas, Martin F. & Frank, Karin & Baumgärtner, Stefan, 2011.
"Pitfalls and potential of institutional change: Rain-index insurance and the sustainability of rangeland management,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 2137-2144, September.
- Birgit Müller & Martin Quaas & Karin Frank & Stefan Baumgärtner, 2009. "Pitfalls and potential of institutional change: Rain-index insurance and the sustainability of rangeland management," Working Paper Series in Economics 149, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Nicholas D. Paulson & Chad E. Hart & Dermot J. Hayes, 2010.
"A spatial Bayesian approach to weather derivatives,"
Agricultural Finance Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(1), pages 79-96, May.
- Paulson, Nicholas D. & Hart, Chad E. & Hayes, Dermot J., 2010. "A Spatial Bayesian Approach to Weather Derivatives," Staff General Research Papers Archive 31339, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Rong Kong, 2011. "Factors influencing Shaanxi and Gansu farmers' willingness to purchase weather insurance," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 423-440, November.
- Banerjee, Chirantan & Berg, Ernst, 2012. "Policy for implementation of Index Based Weather Insurance revisited: the case of Nicaragua," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122448, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Leif Erec Heimfarth & Oliver Musshoff, 2011. "Weather index-based insurances for farmers in the North China Plain: An analysis of risk reduction potential and basis risk," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(2), pages 218-239, August.
- Collier, Benjamin & Skees, Jerry R. & Miranda, Mario J., 2012. "On the Efficient Management of Natural Disaster Risk Using Credit and Index Insurance," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124663, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
KeywordsEx ante risk management; Index insurance; Risk transfer; Rural development; Weather risk;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:68:y:2008:i:1:p:197-217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman). General contact details of provider: http://www.emeraldinsight.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.