Occupational Licensing: Scant Treatment in Labor Texts
We review the literature on occupational licensing and its importance as a labor market institution. We examine five labor economics texts and find that their coverage of occupational licensing is either scant or nonexistent. We speculate on why textbooks fail to treat the topic adequately.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Enterprise Hall, Room 354, 4400 University Drive, 3G4 Fairfax, VA 22030|
Phone: (703) 993-1151
Web page: https://econjwatch.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Frank Adams III & Robert B. Ekelund Jr. & John D. Jackson, 2003. "Occupational Licensing of a Credence Good: The Regulation of Midwifery," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 659-675, January.
- A. Frank Adams & John D. Jackson & Robert B. Ekelund, Jr., 2002. "Occupational Licensing in a "Competitive" Labor Market: The Case of Cosmetology," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 23(2), pages 261-278, April.
- Don Bellante, 1994. "Labor economics," Chapters,in: The Elgar Companion to Austrian Economics, chapter 37 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- David Skarbek, 2008. "Occupational Licensing and Asymmetric Information: Post-Hurricane Evidence from Florida," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 28(1), pages 73-82, Winter.
- Charles G. Carpenter & E. Frank Stephenson, 2006. "The 150-Hour Rule as a Barrier to Entering Public Accountancy," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 27(1), pages 115-126, January.
- Maya N. Federman & David E. Harrington & Kathy J. Krynski, 2006. "The Impact of State Licensing Regulations on Low-Skilled Immigrants: The Case of Vietnamese Manicurists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 237-241, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ejw:journl:v:6:y:2009:i:2:p:181-194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.