Estimating the Black Economy through a Monetary Approach: A Case Study of Pakistan
In recent years, the black economy has held enormous appeal for policy makers. Presence of black economy creates critical misrepresentation of macroeconomic variables in official estimates that lead to the false determination and delusional impact of economic policies. Similarly, black economy represents the unrecorded potential of the economy vis-?-vis resource generation and mobilization. The Economy of Pakistan underwent several minor tax reforms since 1960?s. However, the tax and tariff reform of 1990?s, committed under international pressure, was the first comprehensive exercise and therefore it becomes highly desirable to gauge its impact on the black economy and tax evasion practices. This paper, with some modifications, uses the standard monetary approach to obtain the latest estimates of the size of black economy and its macroeconomic implications thereof.
Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economicissues.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agustín Maravall & Ana del Río, 2001. "Time Aggregation and the Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0108, Banco de Espa�a.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Kumar, Saten, 2007.
"Cointegration, structural breaks and the demand for money in Bangladesh,"
1546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Saten Kumar, 2009. "Cointegration, structural breaks and the demand for money in Bangladesh," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(10), pages 1277-1283.
- Ghiath Shabsigh, 1995. "The Underground Economy; Estimation, and Economic and Policy Implications: The Case of Pakistan," IMF Working Papers 95/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997.
"Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Kurt Annen, 2006. "HP-Filter Excel Add-In," QM&RBC Codes 165, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Morten Ravn, . "GAUSS program for Hodrick-Prescott filter," QM&RBC Codes 101, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Kurt Annen, 2004. "Matlab functions for HP-filter," QM&RBC Codes 166, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Ken Matheny & Simon van Norden & Robert Vigfusson, 1989. "GAUSS code for the Hodrick-Prescott filter," QM&RBC Codes 2, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles, revised Apr 1995.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981. "Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Papers 451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "FORTRAN code for the Hodrick-Prescott filter," QM&RBC Codes 3, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Kurt Annen, 2004. "HP-filter for Java," QM&RBC Codes 168, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Kurt Annen, 2006. "HP-Filter DLL executable," QM&RBC Codes 167, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Morten Ravn, . "Alternate GAUSS program for the Hodrick-Prescott Filter," QM&RBC Codes 102, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christian Zimmermann, 2005. "HP-Filter code (Perl)," QM&RBC Codes 98, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Ivailo Izvorski, . "MATLAB code for the Hodrick-Prescott filter," QM&RBC Codes 1, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christian Zimmermann, 2005. "HP-Filter (web interface)," QM&RBC Codes 97, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Zafar Iqbal & Sarfraz Khan Qureshi & Riaz Mahmood, 1998. "The Underground Economy and Tax Evasion in Pakistan. A Fresh Assessment," PIDE-Working Papers 1998:158, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Bruno Frey & Friedrich Schneider, 2000. "Informal and underground economy," Economics working papers 2000-04, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Hildergart Ahumada & Lorena Garegnani, 1999. "Hodrik – Prescott filter in practice," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(4), pages 61-76.
- Mehnaz Ahmed & Qazi Masood Ahmed, 1995. "Estimation of the Black Economy of Pakistan through the Monetary Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 791-807.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2004. "How Big IS the Irregular Economy?," Macroeconomics 0404005, EconWPA.
- Philip Cagan, 1958. "The Demand for Currency Relative to Total Money Supply," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number caga58-1, June.
- Ravn, Morten O & Uhlig, Harald, 2001.
"On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997. "On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations," Discussion Paper 1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CESifo Working Paper Series 479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003.
"Defining And Estimating Underground And Informal Economies: The New Institional Economics Approach,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Feige, Edgar L., 1990. "Defining and estimating underground and informal economies: The new institutional economics approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 989-1002, July.
- Philip Cagan, 1958. "The Demand for Currency Relative to Total Money Supply," NBER Chapters, in: The Demand for Currency Relative to Total Money Supply, pages 1-37 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ali Kemal, 2003. "Underground Economy and Tax Evasion in Pakistan A Critical Evaluation," PIDE-Working Papers 2003:184, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Bhattacharyya, Dilip K, 1999. "On the Economic Rationale of Estimating the Hidden Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(456), pages F348-59, June.
- Bushra Yasmin & Hira Rauf, 2004. "Measuring the Underground Economy and its Impact on the Economy of Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 93-103, Jul-Dec.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eis:articl:108ahmed. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan Wheatley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.