Globalization, poverty, and inequality: What is the relationship? What can be done?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Basu, Kaushik, 2005. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," Working Papers 05-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2005. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," WIDER Working Paper Series 032, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kaushik Basu, 2010. "Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?," Working Papers id:3234, eSocialSciences.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2002. "Winners and Losers Over Two Centuries of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 9161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branko Milanovic, 2002.
"True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First Calculation Based on Household Surveys Alone,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 51-92, January.
- Milanovic, Branko, 1999. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993 - first calculations, based on household surveys alone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2244, The World Bank.
- Branko milanovic, 2003. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alo," HEW 0305002, EconWPA.
- Wade, Robert Hunter, 2004. "Is Globalization Reducing Poverty and Inequality?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 567-589, April.
- Kaushik Basu, 2006.
"Gender and Say: a Model of Household Behaviour with Endogenously Determined Balance of Power,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 558-580, April.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2001. "Gender and Say: A Model of Household Behavior with Endogenously-Determined Balance of Power," Working Papers 01-01, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu, 2004. "Gender and Say A Model of Household Behavior with Endogenously-determined Balance of Power," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2054, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Birdsall, Nancy & Ross, David & Sabot, Richard, 1995.
"Inequality and Growth Reconsidered: Lessons from East Asia,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 9(3), pages 477-508, September.
- Richard Sabot & David Ross & Nancy Birdsall, 2016. "Inequality and Growth Reconsidered: Lessons from East Asia," Working Papers id:8848, eSocialSciences.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Thomas Piketty, 2005. "Top Indian Incomes, 1922-2000," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-20.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & van der Hoeven, Rolph (ed.), 2004. "Growth, Inequality, and Poverty: Prospects for Pro-poor Economic Development," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199268658.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "How Did the World's Poorest Fare in the 1990s?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(3), pages 283-300, September.
- Stephan Klasen, 2003.
"In Search of The Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth ?,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
096, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Stephan Klasen, 2004. "In Search of the Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth?," Macroeconomics 0401005, EconWPA.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "The World Distribution of Income and Income Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 1267, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dagdeviren, Hulya & van der Hoeven, Rolph & Weeks, John, 2002. "Redistribution Does Matter Growth and Redistribution for Poverty Reduction," WIDER Working Paper Series 005, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2002. "Inequality Among World Citizens: 1820-1992," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 727-744, September.
- Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003.
"On Footloose Industries, Asymmetric Information and Wage Bargaining,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "On Footloose Industries, Asymmetric Information,And Wage Bargaining," Working Papers 127254, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Amartya Sen, 1976. "Real National Income," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 19-39.
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Camelia Minoiu, 2005. "Has world poverty really fallen during the 1990s?," Development and Comp Systems 0509005, EconWPA.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Piketty, Thomas, 2002. "Top Indian Incomes, 1956-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 4137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- S. Subramanian & D. Jayaraj, 2014. "Money-metric poverty, welfare, growth, and inequality in India: 1983 – 2011/12," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series 21114, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Broll, Udo & Kemnitz, Alexander & Mukherjee, Vivekananda, 2009. "Globalization and a welfare program for the marginalized," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 05/09, Technische Universität Dresden, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Sajid Anwar, 2010. "Wage Inequality, Increased Competition, and Trade Liberalization: Short Run vs Long Run," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 574-581, August.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2006.
"Participatory Equity, Identity, and Productivity: Policy Implications for Promoting Development,"
06-06, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu, 2007. "Participatory Equity, Identity, and Productivity Policy Implications for Promoting Development," Working Papers id:1122, eSocialSciences.
- Jayaraj, D. & Subramanian, Sreenivasan, 2012. "On the 'Inclusiveness' of India's Consumption Expenditure Growth," WIDER Working Paper Series 057, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Moana S. Simas & Laura Golsteijn & Mark A. J. Huijbregts & Richard Wood & Edgar G. Hertwich, 2014. "The “Bad Labor” Footprint: Quantifying the Social Impacts of Globalization," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(11), pages 1-27, October.
- Vincent Carpentier & Elaine Unterhalter, 2011. "Globalization, Higher Education and Inequalities: Problems and Prospects," Chapters,in: Handbook on Globalization and Higher Education, chapter 9 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Béné, Christophe & Lawton, Rebecca & Allison, Edward H., 2010. ""Trade Matters in the Fight Against Poverty": Narratives, Perceptions, and (Lack of) Evidence in the Case of Fish Trade in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 933-954, July.
- Asche, Frank & Bellemare, Marc F. & Roheim, Cathy & Smith, Martin D. & Tveteras, Sigbjørn, 2015. "Fair Enough? Food Security and the International Trade of Seafood," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 151-160.
- Vani K. Borooah, 2017.
"Measuring Inequality of Access to Higher Education in India,"
Journal of Quantitative Economics,
Springer;The Indian Econometric Society (TIES), vol. 15(2), pages 241-263, June.
- Borooah, Vani, 2016. "Measuring Inequality of Access to Higher Education in India," MPRA Paper 75683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Borooah, Vani & Diwakar, Dilip & Naik, Ajaya & Sabharwal, Nidhi, 2013. "Caste, Inequality, and Poverty in India: A Re-Assessment," MPRA Paper 75669, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- S. Subramanian & D. Jayaraj, 2013. "Economic Inequality in India," Challenge, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(4), pages 26-37.
- Pete Tashman & Valentina Marano, 2009. "Dynamic Capabilities and Base of the Pyramid Business Strategies," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(4), pages 495-514, March.
- Amita Majumder & Ranjan Ray & Sattwik Santra, 2016. "Global and Country Poverty Rates, Welfare Rankings of the Regions and Purchasing Power Parities: How Robust Are the Results?," Monash Economics Working Papers 11-16, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Goto, Hideaki, 2008. "Labor Market Competitiveness and Poverty," Working Papers 51159, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Nasfi Fkili Wahiba, 2013. "Trade Openness and Inequality," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 3(6), pages 1-5, December.
- Yamin, Mo & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2009. "Infrastructure or foreign direct investment?: An examination of the implications of MNE strategy for economic development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 144-157, April.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2014. "Globalization and Inequality," Working Papers 180163, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Jinhwan Oh, 2008. "Concentration, congestion, and the dynamics: spatial re-modeling of the Murphy, Shleifer, and Vishny model," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 77-97, December.
More about this item
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O19 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:34:y:2006:i:8:p:1361-1373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.