Globalization, Poverty and Inequality: What Is the Relationship? What Can Be Done?
The paper studies the relation between globalization, inequality and marginalization, within and across nations. It reviews the existing evidence on globalization and global inequality and argues, using a simple theoretical model, that the two are inter-connected. It discusses policy alternative policies to counter extreme poverty and inequality. The paper takes the view that curbing these, even within one country, requires global, cross-country policies that we do not currently have, and advocates the setting up of an international initiative to coordinate such policies. [Research Paper No. 2005/32]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2001.
"Inequality among World Citizens : 1820-1992,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Stephan Klasen, 2004.
"In Search of the Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth?,"
- Stephan Klasen, 2003. "In Search of The Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth ?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 096, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Branko Milanovic, 2002.
"True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First Calculation Based on Household Surveys Alone,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 51-92, January.
- Milanovic, Branko, 1999. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993 - first calculations, based on household surveys alone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2244, The World Bank.
- Branko milanovic, 2003. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alo," HEW 0305002, EconWPA.
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Camelia Minoiu, 2005. "Has world poverty really fallen during the 1990s?," Development and Comp Systems 0509005, EconWPA.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2004. "The World Distribution of Income and Income Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 1267, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wade, Robert Hunter, 2004. "Is Globalization Reducing Poverty and Inequality?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 567-589, April.
- Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003.
"On Footloose Industries, Asymmetric Information and Wage Bargaining,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "On Footloose Industries, Asymmetric Information,And Wage Bargaining," Working Papers 127254, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Birdsall, Nancy & Ross, David & Sabot, Richard, 1995. "Inequality and Growth Reconsidered: Lessons from East Asia," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(3), pages 477-508, September.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Thomas Piketty, 2005.
"Top Indian Incomes, 1922-2000,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-20.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2001.
"Gender and Say: A Model of Household Behavior with Endogenously-Determined Balance of Power,"
01-01, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu, 2006. "Gender and Say: a Model of Household Behaviour with Endogenously Determined Balance of Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 558-580, 04.
- Kaushik Basu, 2004. "Gender and Say A Model of Household Behavior with Endogenously-determined Balance of Power," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2054, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2002. "Winners and Losers Over Two Centuries of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 9161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shaohua Chen & Ravallion, Martin, 2000.
"How did the world's poorest fare in the 1990s ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2409, The World Bank.
- Amartya Sen, 1976. "Real National Income," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 19-39.
- Dagdeviren, Hulya & van der Hoeven, Rolph & Weeks, John, 2002. "Redistribution Does Matter Growth and Redistribution for Poverty Reduction," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Piketty, Thomas, 2002. "Top Indian Incomes, 1956-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 4137, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & van der Hoeven, Rolph (ed.), 2004. "Growth, Inequality, and Poverty: Prospects for Pro-poor Economic Development," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199268658.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.