Remoteness and accessibility in the vulnerability analysis of regional road networks
This paper considers the development of a method for network vulnerability analysis which considers the socio-economic impacts of network degradation and seeks to determine the most critical locations in the network. The method compares the levels of remoteness (or its inverse, accessibility) of localities within the study region, on the basis of the impacts of degradation of the road network on a recognised accessibility/remoteness index that can be applied to each and every location within the region. It thus extends the earlier work on accessibility-based vulnerability analysis which was limited to assessment of impacts on selected nodes in a network. The new method allows study of impacts on both specified locations (which do not have to be represented as network nodes) and the region as a whole. The accessibility/remoteness index is defined so that an accessibility surface can be calculated for the region, and the volume under this surface provides an overall measure of accessibility. Changes in the volume under different network states thus reflect the overall impacts. The method is applied to a rural region in south east Australia.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenelius, Erik & Petersen, Tom & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Importance and exposure in road network vulnerability analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 537-560, August.
- Michael A. P. Taylor, 2008. "Critical Transport Infrastructure in Urban Areas: Impacts of Traffic Incidents Assessed Using Accessibility-Based Network Vulnerability Analysis," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 593-616.
- Berdica, Katja, 2002. "An introduction to road vulnerability: what has been done, is done and should be done," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 117-127, April.
- Weibull, Jorgen W., 1976. "An axiomatic approach to the measurement of accessibility," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 357-379, December.
- Michael Taylor & Somenahalli Sekhar & Glen D'Este, 2006. "Application of Accessibility Based Methods for Vulnerability Analysis of Strategic Road Networks," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 267-291, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:5:p:761-771. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.