A basic mathematical model for evacuation problems in urban areas
Real life situations like floods, hurricanes or chemical accidents may cause the evacuation of a certain area to rescue the affected population. To enable a fast and a safe evacuation a basic mixed-integer evacuation model has been developed that provides a reorganization of the traffic routing of a certain area for the case of an evacuation. This basic problem of evacuation minimizes the evacuation-time while prohibiting conflicts within intersections. Our evacuation model is a dynamic network flow problem with additional variables for the number and direction of used lanes and with additional complicating constraints. Because of the size of the time-expanded network, the computational effort required by standard software is already very high for tiny instances. To deal with realistic instances we propose a heuristic approach.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eva Regnier, 2008. "Public Evacuation Decisions and Hurricane Track Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(1), pages 16-28, January.
- John J. Jarvis & H. Donald Ratliff, 1982. "Note---Some Equivalent Objectives for Dynamic Network Flow Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 106-109, January.
- Cova, Thomas J. & Johnson, Justin P., 2003. "A network flow model for lane-based evacuation routing," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 579-604, August.
- L. G. Chalmet & R. L. Francis & P. B. Saunders, 1982. "Network Models for Building Evacuation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 86-105, January.
- Choi, W. & Hamacher, H. W. & Tufekci, S., 1988. "Modeling of building evacuation problems by network flows with side constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 98-110, April.
- Thomas J Cova & Justin P Johnson, 2002. "Microsimulation of neighborhood evacuations in the urban - wildland interface," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(12), pages 2211-2229, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:45:y:2011:i:6:p:523-539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.