Optimal building evacuation time considering evacuation routes
The main purpose of this work is to present a formulation of the building evacuation problem that incorporates evacuation routes and applies the functions developed by Nelson and McLennan [H.E. Nelson, H.A. McLennan (Eds.), Emergency Movement, The SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering, 1996, pp. 3.286-3.295 (Section 3/Chapter 14)] to model the movement of people. These considerations lead to significant changes in the form of the evacuation and inverse evacuation functions, so it is necessary to develop a new procedure for solving the building evacuation problem.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Choi, W. & Hamacher, H. W. & Tufekci, S., 1988. "Modeling of building evacuation problems by network flows with side constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 98-110, April.
- Lovas, Gunnar G., 1995. "On performance measures for evacuation systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 352-367, September.
- J MacGregor Smith & D Towsley, 1981. "The Use of Queuing Networks in the Evaluation of Egress from Buildings," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 8(2), pages 125-139, June.
- L. G. Chalmet & R. L. Francis & P. B. Saunders, 1982. "Network Models for Building Evacuation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 86-105, January.
- Bakuli, David L. & MacGregor Smith, J., 1996. "Resource allocation in state-dependent emergency evacuation networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 543-555, March.
- J MacGregor Smith & D Towsley, 1981. "The use of queuing networks in the evaluation of egress from buildings," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 8(2), pages 125-139, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:692-699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.