Toll optimisation on river crossings serving large cities
There is renewed interest in the private sector financing and operation of major transportation projects, in which a significant financial contribution comes from toll revenues. Tolling is ideally suited to river crossings, where the tolls are relatively easy to administer and collect. Because of their span, bridges over river estuaries are particularly expensive to build and maintain and so need to be put on a firm financial footing. Toll revenue is therefore a key consideration if such projects are to be financially viable and risk is to be minimised. There may be other issues to do with who benefits from the bridge and whether differential tolls should apply to local residents and non-resident bridge users. In addition, such bridges may be linked to wider economic objectives, such as local development and regeneration. This paper describes a model for estimating optimum bridge tolls, from both a financial and a welfare perspective and provides a case study that illustrates a range of scenarios that are of general interest.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hau, Timothy D., 1992. "Economic fundamentals of road pricing : a diagrammatic analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1070, The World Bank.
- Palma, André de & Lindsey, Robin & Proost, Stef, 2006.
"Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: An overview,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 97-105, March.
- Andre de Palma & Lindsey Robin & Proost Stef, 2005. "Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: an overview," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0506, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- DE PALMA, André & LINDSEY, Robin & PROOST, Stef, . "Research challenges in modelling urban road pricing: An overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1880, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Verhoef, Erik T. & Small, Kenneth A., 2002.
"Product Differentiation on Roads: Constrained Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneous Users,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt2sb2x5xp, University of California Transportation Center.
- VERHOEF, ERIK T & Small, Kenneth A, 2003. "Product Differentiation on Roads: Constrained Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneous Users," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt37n0q7c6, University of California Transportation Center.
- Rouwendal, Jan & Verhoef, Erik T., 2006. "Basic economic principles of road pricing: From theory to applications," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 106-114, March.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2005.
"Second-best congestion pricing schemes in the monocentric city,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 367-388, November.
- Erik Verhoef, 2004. "Second-best Congestion Pricing Schemes in the Monocentric City," ERSA conference papers ersa04p408, European Regional Science Association.
- Wong, Walter K.I. & Noland, Robert B. & Bell, Michael G.H., 2005. "The theory and practice of congestion charging," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 567-570.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20040110 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geoffrey Hyman & Les Mayhew, 2000. "The properties of route catchments in orbital - radial cities," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(6), pages 843-863, November.
- Ieromonachou, P. & Potter, S. & Warren, J.P., 2006. "Norway's urban toll rings: Evolving towards congestion charging?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 367-378, September.
- Hyman, Geoffrey & Mayhew, Les, 2002. "Optimizing the benefits of urban road user charging," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 189-207, July.
- Romilly, Peter, 2004. "Welfare evaluation with a road capacity constraint," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 287-303, May.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Equity effects of congestion pricing: Quantitative methodology and a case study for Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 602-620, August.
- Holguin-Veras, Jose & Cetin, Mecit & Xia, Shuwen, 2006. "A comparative analysis of US toll policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 852-871, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:42:y:2008:i:1:p:28-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.