Port privatization, efficiency and competitiveness: Some empirical evidence from container ports (terminals)
Few studies have investigated the quantitative relationship between port ownership structure and port efficiency with mixed results. This study applies a stochastic frontier model proposed by Battese and Coelli [Battese, G.E., Coelli, T.J., 1995. A model for technique inefficiency effects in a stochastic frontier production function for panel data. Empirical Economics 20, 325-332], which incorporates the inefficiency effect, to show whether port privatization is a necessary strategy for ports to gain a competitive advantage. While this stochastic frontier model has been used to a wide number of industries where the technical inefficiency effect is required, this method has rarely been employed to port industry. This study also investigates the determinants of port competitiveness. Both the principal component analysis (PCA) and the linear regression model are used to examine the effects of identified key factors on port competitiveness. Based on a sample of selected container terminals around the world, the results of this study have shown that private sector participation in the port industry to some extent can improve port operation efficiency, which will in turn increase port competitiveness. Another important determinant of port competitiveness is the adaptability to the customers' demand. All these results provide some policy implications and guidance for port authorities and port operators in formulating effective strategies to improve their competitiveness vis-a-vis rivals.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas K. Fleming & Alfred J. Baird, 1999. "Comment Some reflections on port competition in the United States and western Europe," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 383-394, October.
- Alfred J Baird, 2000. "Port Privatisation: Objectives, Extent, Process, and the UK Experience," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(3), pages 177-194, September.
- Keith Hartley & David Parker & Stephen Martin, 1991. "Organisational Status, Ownership and Productivity," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 46-60, May.
- Tongzon, Jose L., 1995. "Determinants of port performance and efficiency," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 245-252, May.
- Theo E. Notteboom & Willy Winkelmans, 2001. "Structural changes in logistics: how will port authorities face the challenge?," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002.
"Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 545-560, April.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43983, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "Efficiency gains from port reform and the potential for Yardstick competition: lessons from Mexico?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13376, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Theo Notteboom & Chris Coeck & Julien Van Den Broeck, 2000. "Measuring and Explaining the Relative Efficiency of Container Terminals by Means of Bayesian Stochastic Frontier Models," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(2), pages 83-106, June.
- van den Broeck, Julien & Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1994. "Stochastic frontier models : A Bayesian perspective," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 273-303, April.
- Tongzon, Jose, 2001. "Efficiency measurement of selected Australian and other international ports using data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 107-122, February.
- Jose L. Tongzon, 1989. "The Impact Of Wharfage Costs On Victoria'S Export-Oriented Industries," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 8(4), pages 58-64, December.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Song, Dong-Wook & Gray, Richard, 2002. "A stochastic frontier model of the efficiency of major container terminals in Asia: assessing the influence of administrative and ownership structures," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 743-762, October.
- Hans J F Peters, 2001. "Developments in Global Seatrade and Container Shipping Markets: Their Effects on the Port Industry and Private Sector Involvement," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 3(1), pages 3-26, March.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Nombela, Gustavo, 1999. "Privatization and regulation of the seaport industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2181, The World Bank.
- Pablo Coto-Millan & Jose Banos-Pino & Ana Rodriguez-Alvarez, 2000. "Economic efficiency in Spanish ports: some empirical evidence," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(2), pages 169-174, April.
- Estrin, Saul & Perotin, Virginie, 1991. "Does ownership always matter?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 55-72, March.
- Kevin Cullinane & Dong-Wook Song, 2001. "The Administrative and Ownership Structure of Asian Container Ports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 3(2), pages 175-197, June.
- Theo E Notteboom & Willy Winkelmans, 2001. "Reassessing Public Sector Involvement in European Seaports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 3(2), pages 242-259, June.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:39:y:2005:i:5:p:405-424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.