Enfranchisement and the welfare state: Institutional design of unemployment compensation
This paper examines the relationship between various political mechanisms and the variation in unemployment compensation programs (i.e., compulsory, voluntary, and assistance programs). I argue that the choice of a specific unemployment compensation program over others depends on the level of franchise extension. Using a multinomial logit analysis of 13 European countries from 1880 to 1945, I find that among other political mechanisms, franchise extension had the greatest impact on the likelihood of instituting unemployment compensation, controlling socio-economic factors. Greater enfranchisement is associated with a higher probability of choosing a compulsory program, but not a voluntary one.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521529167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1997.
"Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
Working Paper Series
1997:25, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," Papers 1997-25, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Esping-Andersen, Gosta, 1999. "Social Foundations of Postindustrial Economies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198742005.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1975. "The Political Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 169-90, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521821742 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521529174 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521821759 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:37:y:2008:i:4:p:1660-1678. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.