Chapter 2 A Fleet for the 21st Century: Modern Greek Shipping
Just before the millennium, prospects for Greek-owned shipping looked grim for the first time after many years of almost uninterrupted - and always impressive - expansion. The age of Greek-owned ships coupled with its heavy specialisation in ship types that found themselves in a sea of regulatory changes seemed as a combination of challenges that Greek shipping would not be able to handle this time. Yet, the legendary flexibility and market "feel" of the Greek-shipping community led to the Greek-owned fleet not only transiting successfully into the 21st century at the leading position in world shipping hierarchy, but also building solidly on its existing strengths while venturing into new areas. This chapter reviews this course focusing on changes in the specialisation and age of the Greek-owned fleet.
Volume (Year): 21 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620614/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gardner, B. M. & Pettit, S. J. & Thanopoulou, H. A., 1996. "Shifting challenges for British maritime policy : A post-war review," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 517-524, November.
- ., 2006. "Fostering Entrepreneurship," Chapters,in: Reforming China’s State-owned Enterprises and Banks, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Tamvakis, Michael N. & Thanopoulou, Helen A., 2000. "Does quality pay? The case of the dry bulk market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 297-307, December.
- ., 2006. "Firm Size Expectations of Nascent Entrepreneurs," Chapters,in: Entrepreneurship and the Growth of Firms, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jan Inge Jenssen & Trond Randøy, 2002. "Factors that promote innovation in shipping companies," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 119-133, April.
- Gelina Harlaftis & John Theotokas, 2004. "European Family Firms in International Business: British and Greek Tramp-Shipping Firms," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(2), pages 219-255.
- Léo - Paul Dana, 2006. "Symbiotic Entrepreneurship in the Euro-zone," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Entrepreneurship And Smes In The Euro-Zone Towards a Theory of Symbiotic Entrepreneurship, chapter 14, pages 195-202 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- ., 2006. "Entrepreneurship as Growth: Growth as Entrepreneurship," Chapters,in: Entrepreneurship and the Growth of Firms, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jan Inge Jenssen, 2003. "Innovation, capabilities and competitive advantage in Norwegian shipping," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 93-106, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:retrec:v:21:y:2007:i:1:p:23-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.