GIS based multi-criteria assessment of tidal stream power potential: A case study for Georgia, USA
A multi-criteria assessment methodology that accounts for the physical, environmental and socioeconomic constraints is proposed to assist in the selection of the most suitable locations for tidal stream power conversion projects. For this purpose, the tidal stream power resource data are incorporated into a Geographical Information System (GIS) database together with datasets that are related to different aspects of the site selection methodology. The proposed method is applied to the Georgia coast to find and rank the best locations for power conversion. The suitable areas are narrowed down to a subset of the high power density areas that satisfy the constraints of a tidal stream power conversion scheme. A demonstrative ranking procedure with equal weighting factors for all criteria shows that the Savannah, Ogeeche, Canoochee and Medway Rivers and the Cumberland Sound have the best locations for tidal power conversion on the coast of Georgia. This methodology is also applicable to other sites where sufficient geospatial data are available.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prest, Robert & Daniell, Trevor & Ostendorf, Bertram, 2007. "Using GIS to evaluate the impact of exclusion zones on the connection cost of wave energy to the electricity grid," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4516-4528, September.
- Möller, Bernd, 2006. "Changing wind-power landscapes: regional assessment of visual impact on land use and population in Northern Jutland, Denmark," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(5), pages 477-494, May.
- Arán Carrión, J. & Espín Estrella, A. & Aznar Dols, F. & Zamorano Toro, M. & Rodríguez, M. & Ramos Ridao, A., 2008. "Environmental decision-support systems for evaluating the carrying capacity of land areas: Optimal site selection for grid-connected photovoltaic power plants," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 2358-2380, December.
- Ramírez-Rosado, Ignacio J. & García-Garrido, Eduardo & Fernández-Jiménez, L. Alfredo & Zorzano-Santamaría, Pedro J. & Monteiro, Cláudio & Miranda, Vladimiro, 2008. "Promotion of new wind farms based on a decision support system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 558-566.
- Ramachandra, T.V. & Shruthi, B.V., 2007. "Spatial mapping of renewable energy potential," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1460-1480, September.
- Amador, J. & Domínguez, J., 2005. "Application of geographical information systems to rural electrification with renewable energy sources," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 1897-1912.
- Myers, L. & Bahaj, A.S., 2005. "Simulated electrical power potential harnessed by marine current turbine arrays in the Alderney Race," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1713-1731.
- Yue, Cheng-Dar & Yang, Grant Gwo-Liang, 2007. "Decision support system for exploiting local renewable energy sources: A case study of the Chigu area of southwestern Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 383-394, January.
- Lee, M.Q. & Lu, C.N. & Huang, H.S., 2009. "Reliability and cost analyses of electricity collection systems of a marine current farm--A Taiwanese case study," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 2012-2021, October.
- Yue, Cheng-Dar & Wang, Shi-Sian, 2006. "GIS-based evaluation of multifarious local renewable energy sources: a case study of the Chigu area of southwestern Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 730-742, April.
- Rodman, Laura C. & Meentemeyer, Ross K., 2006. "A geographic analysis of wind turbine placement in Northern California," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2137-2149, October.
- Defne, Zafer & Haas, Kevin A. & Fritz, Hermann M., 2011. "Numerical modeling of tidal currents and the effects of power extraction on estuarine hydrodynamics along the Georgia coast, USA," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3461-3471.
- Muselli, M. & Notton, G. & Poggi, P. & Louche, A., 1999. "Computer-aided analysis of the integration of renewable-energy systems in remote areas using a geographical-information system," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 141-160, July.
- Baban, Serwan M.J & Parry, Tim, 2001. "Developing and applying a GIS-assisted approach to locating wind farms in the UK," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-71.
- Voivontas, D. & Assimacopoulos, D. & Mourelatos, A. & Corominas, J., 1998. "Evaluation of Renewable Energy potential using a GIS decision support system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 333-344.
- Defne, Zafer & Haas, Kevin A. & Fritz, Hermann M., 2009. "Wave power potential along the Atlantic coast of the southeastern USA," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2197-2205.
- Joselin Herbert, G.M. & Iniyan, S. & Sreevalsan, E. & Rajapandian, S., 2007. "A review of wind energy technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 1117-1145, August.
- Lim, Yun Seng & Koh, Siong Lee, 2010. "Analytical assessments on the potential of harnessing tidal currents for electricity generation in Malaysia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1024-1032.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:5:p:2310-2321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.