Energy savings and cost-benefit analysis of using compression and absorption chillers for air conditioners in Iran
The electricity demand in Iran has increased steadily in recent years. This is mainly due to the rapid growth in the number of high-rise air-conditioned buildings and the rapid use of electrical appliances in residential and commercial sectors. This paper investigates the annual energy required for cooling per unit area and the total energy cost per unit area for each type of air conditioning systems in different climates in Iran. The paper also investigates the effects of changing the coefficient of performance (COP) of absorption chillers on cost saving. This study found that using absorption chillers for cooling will increase the amount of energy usage per unit area; however the energy cost per unit area will decrease. In addition this research indicates that for each 0.1 increment in COP of absorption chillers, there is at least 50Â USD/m2 saved cost.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mazandarani, A. & Mahlia, T.M.I. & Chong, W.T. & Moghavvemi, M., 2010. "A review on the pattern of electricity generation and emission in Iran from 1967 to 2008," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1814-1829, September.
- Mahlia, T. M. I. & Masjuki, H. H. & Saidur, R. & Amalina, M. A., 2004. "Cost-benefit analysis of implementing minimum energy efficiency standards for household refrigerator-freezers in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(16), pages 1819-1824, November.
- Assilzadeh, F. & Kalogirou, S.A. & Ali, Y. & Sopian, K., 2005. "Simulation and optimization of a LiBr solar absorption cooling system with evacuated tube collectors," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1143-1159.
- Sözen, Adnan & Kurt, Mustafa & Akçayol, M.Ali & Özalp, Mehmet, 2004. "Performance prediction of a solar driven ejector-absorption cycle using fuzzy logic," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 53-71.
- Mahlia, T. M. I. & Masjuki, H. H. & Saidur, R. & Amalina, M. A., 2004. "Viewpoint: Mitigation of emissions through energy efficiency standards for room air conditioners in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(16), pages 1783-1787, November.
- Jaruwongwittaya, Tawatchai & Chen, Guangming, 2010. "A review: Renewable energy with absorption chillers in Thailand," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1437-1444, June.
- Masjuki, H.H & Saidur, R & Choudhury, I.A & Mahlia, T.M.I & Ghani, A.K & Maleque, M.A, 2001. "The applicability of ISO household refrigerator–freezer energy test specifications in Malaysia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 723-737.
- Khosroshahi, Kaveh Aflaki & Jadid, Shahram & Shahidehpour, Mohammad, 2009. "Electric Power Restructuring in Iran: Achievements and Challenges," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 74-83, March.
- Mahlia, T.M.I. & Iqbal, A., 2010. "Cost benefits analysis and emission reductions of optimum thickness and air gaps for selected insulation materials for building walls in Maldives," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2242-2250.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:4:p:1950-1960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.