Firms' internationalization and productivity growth
From a theoretical perspective it is well stated that firms involved in international markets should exhibit higher productivity levels. There is also empirical evidence that supports this result. This paper extends this relationship to a dynamic perspective. It provides evidence on how productivity evolves in more internationalized firms distinguishing different degrees of international involvement both in qualitative as well as in quantitative terms. The results show that productivity evolves differently in those firms that are doing international business, although without differences between large exporters and multinationals.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2002.
"Productivity, Output, and Failure: A Comparison of Taiwanese and Korean Manufacturers,"
NBER Working Papers
8766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 2003. "Productivity, output, and failure: a comparison of taiwanese and korean manufacturers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F485-F510, November.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2005.
"Corporate Performance: Does Ownership Matter? A Comparison of Foreign- and Domestic-Owned Firms in Greece and Portugal,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 73-102, 08.
- Natália Barbosa & Helen Louri, 2003. "Corporate performance: does ownership matter? A comparison of foreign - and domestic - owned firms in Greece and Portugal," NIMA Working Papers 26, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Taegi Kim & Changsuh Park, 2003. "R&D, trade, and productivity growth in korean manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(3), pages 460-483, September.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani, 2003.
"Investments Abroad and Performance at Home Evidence from Italian Multinationals,"
Development Working Papers
180, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide, 2004. "Investments Abroad and Performance at Home: Evidence from Italian Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 4284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Kukulski & Michael Ryan, 2011. "Investment History and Market Orientation Effects in the TFP–FDI Relationship," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 546-567, 04.
- Kazunobu Hayakawa & Tomohiro Machikita & Fukunari Kimura, 2012.
"Globalization And Productivity: A Survey Of Firm‐Level Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 332-350, 04.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Kimura, Fukunari & Machikita, Tomohiro, 2010. "Globalization and productivity : a survey of firm-level analysis," IDE Discussion Papers 252, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996.
"Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco,"
NBER Working Papers
5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning by Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico, and Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fernando Merino, 2004. "Firms' productivity and internationalization: a statistical dominance test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(13), pages 851-854.
- V. G. R. Chandran & Veera Pandiyan, 2008. "Technical efficiency and technological change in Malaysian service industries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 655-657.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Nicolas Peypoch, 2012.
"Exact Relations Between Four Definitions Of Productivity Indices And Indicators,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 265-274, 04.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Nicolas Peypoch, 2009. "Exact Relations between Four De?nitions of Productivity Indices and Indicators," Working Papers 2009-ECO-07, IESEG School of Management.
- M. Del Gatto & A. Di Liberto & C. Petraglia, 2008.
Working Paper CRENoS
200818, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- repec:spr:weltar:v:144:y:2008:i:4:p:596-635 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sourafel Girma & Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2005. "Exports versus FDI: An Empirical Test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(2), pages 193-218, July.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Natalia Ramondo, 2009. "Foreign Plants and Industry Productivity: Evidence from Chile," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(4), pages 789-809, December.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2010. "Malmquist and TÃ¶rnqvist Productivity Indexes: Returns to Scale and Technical Progress with Imperfect Competition," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2010-5, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- W. Diewert & Kevin Fox, 2010. "Malmquist and Törnqvist productivity indexes: returns to scale and technical progress with imperfect competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(1), pages 73-95, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:66:y:2012:i:4:p:349-354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.