Twice constrained investment under uncertainty: A mixed time model
This paper explores the investment decision of a firm facing both an irreversibility constraint and a financial constraint on investment. I show that, for all but the fastest growing firms, the planned investment delaying impact of an irreversibility constraint dominates the planned investment accelerating impact of a financing constraint. This result is especially likely to hold in a reality where firms have a variety of strategies not modeled here, from holding cash reserves to taking on debt, that can mitigate the financing constraint.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zodrow, George R., 1991. "On the 'Traditional' and 'New' Views of Dividend Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 44(4), pages 497-509, December.
- Mervyn A. King, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1991.
"The vanishing harberger triangle,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 271-300, August.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1986.
"Irreversible investment, capacity choice, and the value of the firm,"
1802-86., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1988. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 969-85, December.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1986. "Irreversible Investment, Capacity Choice, and the Value of the Firm," NBER Working Papers 1980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- Caggese, Andrea, 2007.
"Financing constraints, irreversibility, and investment dynamics,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 2102-2130, October.
- Andrea Caggese, 2003. "Financing constraints, irreversibility, and investment dynamics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24828, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrea Caggese, 2003. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," FMG Discussion Papers dp440, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing Constraints, Irreversibility, and Investment Dynamics," Working Papers 53, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Andrea Caggese, 2001. "Financing constraints, irreversibility and investment dynamics," Economics Working Papers 1008, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2006.
- Glenn W. Boyle & Graeme A. Guthrie, 2003. "Investment, Uncertainty, and Liquidity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2143-2166, October.
- McGee, M. Kevin, 1998. "Capital Gains Taxation and New Firm Investment," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 4), pages 653-73, December.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holt, Richard W. P., 2003.
"Investment and dividends under irreversibility and financial constraints,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 467-502, January.
- Richard W P Holt, 2000. "Investment and Dividends under Irreversibility and Financial Constraints," ESE Discussion Papers 55, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Hartman, Richard, 1972. "The effects of price and cost uncertainty on investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 258-266, October.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1983. "Optimal Investment under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 228-33, March.
- David F. Bradford, 1979.
"The Incidence and Allocation Effects of a Tax on Corporate Distributions,"
NBER Working Papers
0349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bradford, David F., 1981. "The incidence and allocation effects of a tax on corporate distributions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1998. "Irreversible investment," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:64:y:2010:i:2:p:110-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.