The incidence and allocation effects of a tax on corporate distributions
To study the effects of 'double taxation' (first at the corporation level, then at the shareholder level this paper analyzes a model with a tax on all corporate distributions to equity owners and no other taxes. Contrary to the common view, the tax is shown to have no substitution effect and, in particular, no effect on the corporate choice between debt and equity (via retained earnings) finance. The analysis opens to question certain arguments commonly used to support integration of corporation and individual income taxes via 'dividend relief'.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein, 1980.
"Government Deficits and Aggregate Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
0435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter & James Tobin, 1978. "Debt Neutrality: A Brief Review of Doctrine and Evidence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 497, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- King, Mervyn A, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35, January.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Taxation, corporate financial policy, and the cost of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Buchanan, James M, 1976. "Barro on the Ricardian Equivalence Theorem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(2), pages 337-42, April.
- Asimakopulos, A. & Burbidge, J. B., 1975. "Corporate taxation and the optimal investment decisions of firms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 281-287, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:15:y:1981:i:1:p:1-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.