Communities in Italian corporate networks
The community structure of two real-world financial networks, namely the board network and the ownership network of the firms of the Italian Stock Exchange, is analyzed by means of the maximum modularity approach. The main result is that both networks exhibit a strong community structure and, moreover, that the two structures overlap significantly. This is due to a number of reasons, including the existence of pyramidal groups and directors serving in several boards. Overall, this means that the “small world” of listed companies is actually split into well identifiable “continents” (i.e., the communities).
Volume (Year): 389 (2010)
Issue (Month): 22 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2002.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 419-436, November.
- Meila, Marina, 2007. "Comparing clusterings--an information based distance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(5), pages 873-895, May.
- Caldarelli, Guido & Catanzaro, Michele, 2004. "The corporate boards networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 338(1), pages 98-106.
- Battiston, Stefano & Bonabeau, Eric & Weisbuch, Gérard, 2003. "Decision making dynamics in corporate boards," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 322(C), pages 567-582.
- S. Battiston & M. Catanzaro, 2004. "Statistical properties of corporate board and director networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 345-352, 03.
- Stefano Battiston & Jo\~ao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2005.
"The Network of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks across Europe,"
- Stefano Battiston & Joao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2007. "The Network Of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks Across Europe," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 29-51.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Garlaschelli, Diego & Battiston, Stefano & Castri, Maurizio & Servedio, Vito D.P. & Caldarelli, Guido, 2005.
"The scale-free topology of market investments,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 350(2), pages 491-499.
- J. B. Glattfelder & S. Battiston, 2009. "Backbone of complex networks of corporations: The flow of control," Papers 0902.0878, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2009.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Ariane Chapelle, 2004.
"Separation between ownership and control: where do we stand?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9941, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ariane Chapelle, 2004. "Separation between ownership and control: where do we stand?," Working Papers CEB 04-018.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Raffaele Corrado & Maurizio Zollo, 2006. "Small worlds evolving: governance reforms, privatizations, and ownership networks in Italy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 319-352, April.
- Alexander Aganin & Paolo Volpin, 2005. "The History of Corporate Ownership in Italy," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 325-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Battiston, Stefano, 2004. "Inner structure of capital control networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 338(1), pages 107-112.
- Gerald F. Davis, 1996. "The Significance of Board Interlocks for Corporate Governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 154-159, 07.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- V. Zlatic & G. Bianconi & A. Díaz-Guilera & D. Garlaschelli & F. Rao & G. Caldarelli, 2009. "On the rich-club effect in dense and weighted networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 67(3), pages 271-275, February.
- Mara Faccio, 2006. "Politically Connected Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 369-386, March.
- E. A. Leicht & G. Clarkson & K. Shedden & M. E.J. Newman, 2007. "Large-scale structure of time evolving citation networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 59(1), pages 75-83, 09.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:389:y:2010:i:22:p:5247-5258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.