Scaling behavior in land markets
In this paper, we present an analysis of power law statistics on land markets. There have been no other studies that have analyzed power law statistics on land markets up to now. We analyzed a database of the assessed value of land, which is officially monitored and made available to the public by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport, Government of Japan (the data on the assessed value of land for this paper is available on the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Government of Japan's World-Wide Web site). This is the largest database of Japan's land prices, and consists of approximately 30,000 points for each year of a 6-year period (1995–2000). By analyzing the data on the assessed value of land, we were able to determine the power law distributions of the land prices and of the relative prices of the land. The data fit to a very good degree the approximation of power law distributions. We also found that the price fluctuations were amplified with the level of the price. These results hold for the data for each of the six annual intervals. Our empirical findings present the conditions that any empirically accurate theories of land market must satisfy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 326 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ogawa, Kazuo & Suzuki, Kazuyuki, 1998.
"Land Value and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Japanese Panel Data,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 232-249, September.
- Ogawa, K. & Suzuki, K., 1995. "Land Value and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Japanese Panel Data," ISER Discussion Paper 0373, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ogawa, K. & Suzuki, K., 1996. "Land Value and Corporate Investment: Evidence from Japanese Panel Data," ISER Discussion Paper 0408, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- V. Plerou & P. Gopikrishnan & L. A. N. Amaral & M. Meyer & H. E. Stanley, 1999. "Scaling of the distribution of price fluctuations of individual companies," Papers cond-mat/9907161, arXiv.org.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Stanley, Michael H. R. & Buldyrev, Sergey V. & Havlin, Shlomo & Mantegna, Rosario N. & Salinger, Michael A. & Eugene Stanley, H., 1995. "Zipf plots and the size distribution of firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 453-457, October.
- Okuyama, K & Takayasu, M & Takayasu, H, 1999. "Zipf's law in income distribution of companies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 269(1), pages 125-131.
- Hideaki Aoyama & Yuichi Nagahara & Mitsuhiro P. Okazaki & Wataru Souma & Hideki Takayasu & Misako Takayasu, 2000. "Pareto's Law for Income of Individuals and Debt of Bankrupt Companies," Papers cond-mat/0006038, arXiv.org.
- Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Vasiliki Plerou & Luis A. Nunes Amaral & Martin Meyer & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "Scaling of the distribution of fluctuations of financial market indices," Papers cond-mat/9905305, arXiv.org.
- Canning, D. & Amaral, L. A. N. & Lee, Y. & Meyer, M. & Stanley, H. E., 1998. "Scaling the volatility of GDP growth rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 335-341, September.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..