The Alchian-Allen theorem and the law of relative demand: The case of multiple quality-differentiable brands
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Sobel, Russell S & Garrett, Thomas A, 1997. "Taxation and Product Quality: New Evidence from Generic Cigarettes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 880-887, August.
- H. S. Houthakker, 1952. "Compensated Changes in Quantities and Qualities Consumed," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(3), pages 155-164.
- Barzel, Yoram, 1976. "An Alternative Approach to the Analysis of Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1177-1197, December.
- Gould, John P & Segall, Joel, 1969. "The Substitution Effects of Transportation Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(1), pages 130-137, Jan./Feb..
- Liqun Liu, 2003. "Relative Efficiency of AD Valorem and Unit Taxes: The Case of Endogenous Quality," Public Finance Review, , vol. 31(3), pages 291-301, May.
- Cowen, Tyler & Tabarrok, Alexander, 1995. "Good Grapes and Bad Lobsters: Applying the Alchian and Allen Theorem," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 253-256, April.
- Goolsbee, Austan, 2004. "Taxes and the quality of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 519-543, March.
- Umbeck, John, 1980. "Shipping the Good Apples Out: Some Ambiguities in the Interpretation of "Fixed Charge"," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 199-208, February.
- Bertonazzi, Eric P & Maloney, Michael T & McCormick, Robert E, 1993. "Some Evidence on the Alchian and Allen Theorem: The Third Law of Demand?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 383-393, July.
- Borcherding, Thomas E & Silberberg, Eugene, 1978. "Shipping the Good Apples Out: The Alchian and Allen Theorem Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 131-138, February.
- Tetsuya Saito, 2008. "An Expository Note on Alchian-Allen Theorem When Sub-Utility Functions are Homogeneous of Degree n > 0 with Two-Stage Budgeting," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(30), pages 1-12.
- Leffler, Keith B, 1982. "Ambiguous Changes in Product Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 956-967, December.
- T Nesbit, 2007. "Excise Taxation and Product Quality: The Gasoline Market," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 12(2), pages 1-14, September.
- Yoram Bauman, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out: A New Perspective," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(3), pages 534-536, July.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, April.
- Laura Razzolini & William F. Shughart & Robert D. Tollison, 2003. "On the Third Law of Demand," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(2), pages 292-298, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Minagawa, Junichi & Upmann, Thorsten, 2013. "A note on parental time allocation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 153-157.
- Minagawa, Junichi & Upmann, Thorsten, 2013. "A conditional demand approach to the Alchian–Allen effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 546-551.
More about this item
KeywordsAlchian-Allen theorem Relative demand Quality;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:61:y:2011:i:1:p:52-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.