Local strict envy-freeness in large economies
This paper proposes a concept of local strict envy-freeness (LS-envy-freeness), which is a local version of Zhou's (1992) strict envy-freeness, and investigates its implications in large economies. In spite of the weakness of this concept, it works effectively by combining with efficiency. It is shown that an LS-envy-free and efficient allocation is a strict envy-free allocation. That is, efficiency expands the local version of strict envy-freeness into strict envy-freeness. Therefore, the set of LS-envy-free and efficient allocations coincides with the set of equal-income Walrasian allocations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piketty, Thomas, 1994. "Existence of fair allocations in economies with production," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 391-405, November.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Varian, Hal R., 1974.
"Equity, envy, and efficiency,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, September.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1979. "On allocations attainable through Nash equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 140-165, August.
- Bordes, Georges & Campbell, Donald E & Le Breton, Michel, 1995. "Arrow's Theorem for Economic Domains and Edgeworth Hyperboxes," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(2), pages 441-54, May.
- DEBREU, GÃ©rard, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2005. "Fair social orderings when agents have unequal production skills," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-127, 09.
- Varian, Hal R., 1976.
"Two problems in the theory of fairness,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 249-260.
- Daniel, Terrence E., 1975. "A revised concept of distributional equity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 94-109, August.
- Thomson, William, 1988. "A study of choice correspondences in economies with a variable number of agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 237-254, December.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Maniquet, Francois, 1996. "Fair allocation with unequal production skills: The No Envy approach to compensation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 71-93, August.
- Xiong, Siyang & Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2007.
"Core Equivalence Theorem with Production,"
Staff General Research Papers
12697, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 1999. "Cooperative production with unequal skills: The solidarity approach to compensation," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 569-583.
- Sakai, Toyotaka, 2009. "Walrasian social orderings in exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 16-22, January.
- Maniquet, Francois, 1999.
"A strong incompatibility between efficiency and equity in non-convex economies,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 467-474, December.
- Maniquet, F., 1996. "A Strong Incompatibility Between Efficiency and Equity in Non-Convex Economics," RCER Working Papers 426, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kleinberg, Norman L., 1980. "Fair allocations and equal incomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 189-200, October.
- Panzer, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1974. "A Difficulty in the Concept of Fairness," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 441-43, July.
- Thomson, William & Zhou, Lin, 1993. "Consistent Solutions in Atomless Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 575-87, May.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:59:y:2010:i:3:p:319-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.