Local strict envy-freeness in large economies
This paper proposes a concept of local strict envy-freeness (LS-envy-freeness), which is a local version of Zhou's (1992) strict envy-freeness, and investigates its implications in large economies. In spite of the weakness of this concept, it works effectively by combining with efficiency. It is shown that an LS-envy-free and efficient allocation is a strict envy-free allocation. That is, efficiency expands the local version of strict envy-freeness into strict envy-freeness. Therefore, the set of LS-envy-free and efficient allocations coincides with the set of equal-income Walrasian allocations.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R., 1974.
"Equity, envy, and efficiency,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, September.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Maniquet, Francois, 1999.
"A strong incompatibility between efficiency and equity in non-convex economies,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 467-474, December.
- Maniquet, F., 1996. "A Strong Incompatibility Between Efficiency and Equity in Non-Convex Economics," RCER Working Papers 426, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1979. "On allocations attainable through Nash equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 140-165, August.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October.
- Xiong, Siyang & Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2007.
"Core Equivalence Theorem with Production,"
Staff General Research Papers
12697, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thomson, William, 1988. "A study of choice correspondences in economies with a variable number of agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 237-254, December.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972.
Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-15, July.
- Kleinberg, Norman L., 1980. "Fair allocations and equal incomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 189-200, October.
- Bordes, Georges & Campbell, Donald E & Le Breton, Michel, 1995. "Arrow's Theorem for Economic Domains and Edgeworth Hyperboxes," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(2), pages 441-54, May.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2005.
"Fair social orderings when agents have unequal production skills,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-127, 09.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & MANIQUET, François, . "Fair social orderings when agents have unequal production skills," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1805, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Piketty, Thomas, 1994. "Existence of fair allocations in economies with production," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 391-405, November.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Maniquet, Francois, 1996. "Fair allocation with unequal production skills: The No Envy approach to compensation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 71-93, August.
- Sakai, Toyotaka, 2009. "Walrasian social orderings in exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 16-22, January.
- Daniel, Terrence E., 1975. "A revised concept of distributional equity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 94-109, August.
- H. R. Varian, 1975.
"Two Problems in the Theory of Fairness,"
163, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Thomson, William & Zhou, Lin, 1993. "Consistent Solutions in Atomless Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 575-87, May.
- Panzer, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1974. "A Difficulty in the Concept of Fairness," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 441-43, July.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 1999. "Cooperative production with unequal skills: The solidarity approach to compensation," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 569-583.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:59:y:2010:i:3:p:319-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.