Inequality averse collective choice
The Lorenz-Pareto Optimal Frontier of a collective choice problem indentifies a (usually quite large) subset of all Pareto optimal outcomes which are not inegalitarian according to the Lorenz criterion. We study the basic properties of Lorenz-Pareto optimal choice functions and in particular obtain necessary and sufficient conditions for rationalizability and representability of such functions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Ray, Debraj, 1989. "A Concept of Egalitarianism under Participation Constraints," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 615-35, May.
- Peters, Hans J M, 1986. "Simultaneity of Issues and Additivity in Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 153-69, January.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1977. "A Note on Separability and Quasiconcavity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1183-86, July.
- Peters, Hans & Wakker, Peter, 1991. "Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives and Revealed Group Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1787-1801, November.
- Thomson,William & Lensberg,Terje, 1989.
"Axiomatic Theory of Bargaining with a Variable Number of Agents,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521343831.
- Thomson,William & Lensberg,Terje, 2006. "Axiomatic Theory of Bargaining with a Variable Number of Agents," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521027038.
- Fields, Gary S & Fei, John C H, 1978. "On Inequality Comparisons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 303-16, March.
- Efe A. Ok & Lin Zhou, 1999.
"Revealed group preferences on non-convex choice problems,"
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 671-687.
- Ok, E.A. & Zhou, L., 1996. "Revealed Group Preferences on Non-Convex Choice Problems," Working Papers 96-39, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bossert, Walter, 1996.
"The Kaldor compensation test and rational choice,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 265-276, February.
- Thomson, W., 1989.
"Cooperative Models Of Bargaining,"
RCER Working Papers
177, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Thomson, William, 1994. "Cooperative models of bargaining," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 35, pages 1237-1284 Elsevier.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Andreu Mas-Colell, 1978. "On Revealed Preference Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(1), pages 121-131.
- Kalai, Ehud & Smorodinsky, Meir, 1975. "Other Solutions to Nash's Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 513-18, May.
- Peters Hans & Wakker Peter, 1994. "WARP Does Not Imply SARP for More Than Two Commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 152-160, February.
- Bossert, Walter, 1994. "Rational choice and two-person bargaining solutions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 549-563, November.
- Ehud Kalai, 1977.
"Proportional Solutions to Bargaining Situations: Interpersonal Utility Comparisons,"
179, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kalai, Ehud, 1977. "Proportional Solutions to Bargaining Situations: Interpersonal Utility Comparisons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1623-30, October.
- Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David, 1996. "Consistency, Replication Invariance, and Generalized Gini Bargaining Solutions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 367-386, May.
- Lensberg, Terje, 1987. "Stability and Collective Rationality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 935-61, July.
- Weymark, John A., 1981.
"Generalized gini inequality indices,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 409-430, August.
- P. L. Yu, 1973. "A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 936-946, April.
- Elchanan Ben Porath & Itzhak Gilboa, 1991.
"Linear Measures, the Gini Index and the Income-Equality Tradeoff,"
944, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Porath Elchanan Ben & Gilboa Itzhak, 1994. "Linear Measures, the Gini Index, and The Income-Equality Trade-off," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 443-467, December.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Elchanan Ben Porath, 1994. "Linear Measures, the Gini Index, and The Income-Equality Trade-off," Post-Print hal-00481365, HAL.
- Blackorby, Charles & Bossert, Walter & Donaldson, David, 1994.
"Generalized Ginis and Cooperative Bargaining Solutions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1161-78, September.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldson, D., 1993. "Generalized Ginis and Cooperative Bargaining Solution," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 93a12, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:30:y:1998:i:3:p:301-321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.