Optimal price-cap reviews
This paper demonstrates, in a dynamic model of monopoly regulation with price-cap, that a periodic price review may increase productive efficiency. When the firm's choice of cost-reducing effort depends on the volume of output supplied, a periodic revision allows the regulator to set more binding prices, thus inducing the monopolist to exert more cost-reducing effort in the future. In a continuous-time setting we establish the conditions under which, within a given concession period, a single full rate base review improves cost-efficiency, and by this route, we also establish the optimal number of reviews. This number depends on the length of the concession period in relation to the slope of the demand function and the intensity of the disutility of effort. Our results add both a theoretical argument in favour of the practice of periodic reviews in price-cap regulation and provide regulators with a basis for the calculation of the optimal regulatory lag. Potentially, our argument is relevant to every regulated monopolist, including the utilities' networks. A particular case worth mentioning is the regulation of toll-road tariffs, particularly in the case of a newly privatized toll-road concessionaire.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, January.
- Michele Moretto & Chiara D.Alpaos & Cesare Dosi, 2005.
"Concession Length and Investment Timing Flexibility,"
2005.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Chiara D'Alpaos & Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 2005. "Concession lenght and investment timing flexibility," Working Papers ubs0502, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1986. "Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 614-641, June.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 1985. "Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms," Working papers 368, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- J. Luis Guasch & Stéphane Straub, 2006. "Renegotiation Of Infrastructure Concessions: An Overview," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(4), pages 479-493, December.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters,in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tracy R. Lewis & Huseyin Yildirim, 2002. "Learning by Doing and Dynamic Regulation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 22-36, Spring.
- Coco, Giuseppe & De Vincenti, Claudio, 2004. "Can price regulation increase cost-efficiency?," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 303-317, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juipol:v:16:y:2008:i:4:p:238-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.