Financial and economic factors affecting the lignite prices in Turkey: An analysis of Soma and Can lignites
Using a simultaneous equation econometric model based on yearly data between 1997 and 2006 for the Aegean Lignite Enterprise this study examines factors that affect the lignite price in Turkey. The Aegean Lignite Enterprise produces and sells the lignite of Soma and Can and their data reflect the general Turkish situation. The results suggest that (1) lignite prices sold to the industry increase (decrease) depending on the decrease (increase) in the industrial production and (2) total electricity production and electricity price are the most important factors that potential investors and related persons have to take into consideration for the pricing of lignite in the thermal power plant market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elevli, Sermin & Demirci, Ahmet, 2006. "Developing of a pricing model for Turkish lignite used in thermal plants," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 50-55, March.
- Paul L. Joskow, 1987.
"Price Adjustment in Long Term Contracts: The Case of Coal,"
444, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1988. "Price Adjustment in Long-term Contracts: The Case of Coal," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(1), pages 47-83, April.
- Yilmaz, Ali Osman & Uslu, Tuncay, 2007. "The role of coal in energy production--Consumption and sustainable development of Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1117-1128, February.
- Tang, Christopher S. & Yin, Rui, 2007. "Responsive pricing under supply uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 239-255, October.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Wang, Jian-Cai, 2007. "Pricing and volume discounting for a dominant retailer with uncertain manufacturing cost information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(2), pages 848-870, December.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1987. "Contract Duration and Relationship-Specific Investments: Empirical Evidence from Coal Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 168-85, March.
- Hacisalihoglu, Bilge, 2008. "Turkey's natural gas policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1867-1872, June.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Zhou, Yong-Wu, 2007. "A comparison of different quantity discount pricing policies in a two-echelon channel with stochastic and asymmetric demand information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 686-703, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jrpoli:v:33:y:2008:i:4:p:230-239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.