Towards the equality of educational opportunity in the province of Buenos Aires
The aim of this paper is to simulate some education policies which would be consistent with different definitions of equality of opportunity (EO). In concrete, we estimate how educational resources should be distributed in order to achieve equality of educational opportunity in the province of Buenos Aires. For that purpose we use a stochastic production frontier model for 12 years old students. The results change drastically depending on the considered concept of EO. If that means giving everybody the same school inputs, the change is not significant. If we want to equalize the academic outputs, the policy is simply impracticable. But if we want to equalize the academic output considering the efforts made by the pupils, the policy is expensive but achievable.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Verhoeven, Marijn, 2001. "The efficiency of government expenditure: experiences from Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 433-467, May.
- Sergio Perelman & Daniel Santin, 2005.
"Measuring educational efficiency at student level with parametric stochastic distance functions: An application to Spanish PISA results,"
CREPP Working Papers
0504, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Sergio Perelman & Daniel Santin, 2011. "Measuring educational efficiency at student level with parametric stochastic distance functions: an application to Spanish PISA results," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 29-49.
- Jung, Hong-Sang & Thorbecke, Erik, 2003. "The impact of public education expenditure on human capital, growth, and poverty in Tanzania and Zambia: a general equilibrium approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 701-725, November.
- F.D., Waltenberg & V. , Vandenberghe, 2005.
"What Does it Take to Achieve Equality of Opportunity in Education ? An Empirical Investigation Based on Brazilian Data,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2005055, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Waltenberg, Fabio D. & Vandenberghe, Vincent, 2007. "What does it take to achieve equality of opportunity in education?: An empirical investigation based on Brazilian data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 709-723, December.
- Fabio D. Waltenberg & Vincent Vandenberghe, 2006. "What Does It Take To Achieve Equality Of Opportunity In Education? An Empirical Investigation Based On Brazilian Data," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 89, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Eric Hanushek, 2009. "School policy: implications of recent research for human capital investments in South Asia and other developing countries," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 291-313.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Hadri, Kaddour, 1999. "Estimation of a Doubly Heteroscedastic Stochastic Frontier Cost Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 359-63, July.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Julie A. Somers, 1999. "Schooling, Inequality, and the Impact of Government," NBER Working Papers 7450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:4:p:583-596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.