The pharmaceutical industry of Puerto Rico: Ramifications of global competition
This paper utilizes a non-homogeneous production function to estimate the efficiency of the pharmaceutical industry of Puerto Rico using data from 1980 to 2008. Global competition in recent years has resulted in job loss and plant closures requiring strategies to profitably use the industry's excess capacity. The estimated results indicate operation at decreasing returns to scale mainly due to the decreasing output elasticity of the number of plants; labor productivity, however, is positive and increasing. Shifting production to generic drugs as a challenge to foreign competition is a top policy consideration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Harri Ramcharran, 2001. "Estimating productivity and returns to scale in the US textile industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 515-524.
- Kwack, Sung Yeung & Sun, Lee Young, 2005. "Economies of scale, technological progress, and the sources of economic growth: case of Korea, 1969-2000," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 265-283, April.
- Revankar, Nagesh S, 1971. "A Class of Variable Elasticity of Substitution Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 61-71, January.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Staikouras, Christos, 2009. "Structural reforms and banking efficiency in the new EU States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 17-21.
- Ramcharran, Harri, 2001. "Productivity, returns to scale and the elasticity of factor substitution in the USA apparel industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 285-291, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:3:p:395-406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.