The pharmaceutical industry of Puerto Rico: Ramifications of global competition
This paper utilizes a non-homogeneous production function to estimate the efficiency of the pharmaceutical industry of Puerto Rico using data from 1980 to 2008. Global competition in recent years has resulted in job loss and plant closures requiring strategies to profitably use the industry's excess capacity. The estimated results indicate operation at decreasing returns to scale mainly due to the decreasing output elasticity of the number of plants; labor productivity, however, is positive and increasing. Shifting production to generic drugs as a challenge to foreign competition is a top policy consideration.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Staikouras, Christos, 2009. "Structural reforms and banking efficiency in the new EU States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 17-21.
- Revankar, Nagesh S, 1971. "A Class of Variable Elasticity of Substitution Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 61-71, January.
- Ramcharran, Harri, 2001. "Productivity, returns to scale and the elasticity of factor substitution in the USA apparel industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 285-291, October.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Harri Ramcharran, 2001. "Estimating productivity and returns to scale in the US textile industry," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 515-524.
- Kwack, Sung Yeung & Sun, Lee Young, 2005. "Economies of scale, technological progress, and the sources of economic growth: case of Korea, 1969-2000," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 265-283, April.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:3:p:395-406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.