Unemployment insurance in Chile: Does it stabilize the business cycle?
We explore the stabilizing effects of unemployment insurance in Chile. A dynamic general equilibrium model is calibrated for the Chilean economy for the 1960-2000 period. We assume that the economy is subject to exogenous technological shocks and that a fraction of the population is liquidity constrained. Our main conclusion is that unemployment insurance has some stabilizing effect on the business cycle, especially on consumption, but that this effect is of the second order of magnitude. We also find that the larger the fraction of the population that is liquidity constrained, the more likely the program is welfare improving. Our results suggest that the objective of stabilizing the business cycle would be more efficiently achieved using alternative instruments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imrohoruglu, Ayse, 1989. "Cost of Business Cycles with Indivisibilities and Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1364-83, December.
- Andrew Atkeson & Christopher Phelan, 1994.
"Reconsidering the Costs of Business Cycles with Incomplete Markets,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1994, Volume 9, pages 187-218
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Atkeson & Christopher Phelan, 1994. "Reconsidering the Costs of Business Cycles with Incomplete Markets," NBER Working Papers 4719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rómulo A. Chumacero & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2004.
"General Equilibrium Models: An Overview,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
307, Central Bank of Chile.
- Rómulo A. Chumacero & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2005. "General Equilibrium Models: An Overview," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Rómulo A. Chumacero & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (S (ed.), General Equilibrium Models for the Chilean Economy, edition 1, volume 9, chapter 1, pages 001-027 Central Bank of Chile.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, June.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Raimundo Soto, 2005.
"Testing Real Business Cycle Models in a Emerging Economy,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Rómulo A. Chumacero & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (S (ed.), General Equilibrium Models for the Chilean Economy, edition 1, volume 9, chapter 7, pages 221-260
Central Bank of Chile.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Testing Real Business Cycles Models in an Emerging Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 159, Central Bank of Chile.
- Raimundo Soto & Raphael Bergoeing, 2002. "Testing Real Business Cycle Models in an Emerging Economy," Documentos de Trabajo 219, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Raphael Bergoeing & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Testing Real Business Cycle Models in an Emerging Economy," Documentos de Trabajo 126, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Hansen, Gary D., 1985.
"Indivisible labor and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Hansen, Gary D & Imrohoroglu, Ayse, 1992.
"The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 118-42, February.
- Gary D. Hansen & Ayse Imrohoroglu, 1990. "The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard," UCLA Economics Working Papers 583, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hansen, G.D. & Imrohoroglu, A., 1990. "The Role Of Unemployment Insurance In An Economy With Liquidity Constraints And Moral Hazard," Papers 21, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Laura Brown & Christopher Ferrall, 2003. "Unemployment insurance and the business cycle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(3), pages 863-894, 08.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Katherine A. Smith, 2002. "Margin Calls, Trading Costs, and Asset Prices in Emerging Markets: The Finanical Mechanics of the 'Sudden Stop' Phenomenon," NBER Working Papers 9286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:qed:wpaper:965 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1982.
"Social Insurance and Consumption: An Empirical Inquiry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 101-13, March.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1980. "Social Insurance and Consumption: An Empirical Inquiry," NBER Working Papers 0600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Easley, David & Kiefer, Nicholas M & Possen, Uri, 1985. "An Equilibrium Analysis of Optimal Unemployment Insurance and Taxation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 989-1010, Supp..
- Marcel, Mario, 2001.
"Balance Estructural del Gobierno Central. Metodología y Estimaciones para Chile
[Structural Bazlance of Central Government. Methodology and estimates for Chile]," MPRA Paper 43338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beaudry, Paul & Pages, Carmen, 2001. "The cost of business cycles and the stabilization value of unemployment insurance," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1545-1572, August.
- Martin Neil Bailey, 1977. "Unemployment insurance as insurance for workers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 495-504, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:29:y:2007:i:3:p:473-488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.