An integrated approach to evaluation and planning of best practices
This paper develops a new integrated evaluation and planning approach for implementing a given set of best practices in a prioritized and phased manner. The best practices are implemented for achieving lower-level business unit objectives and higher-level strategic goals of an organization. With a multiattribute decision making algorithm under the balanced scorecard (BSC) framework, a new evaluation model is developed to effectively measure the relationship between lower-level objectives and higher-level goals, and to give each best practice a relative priority value. A new adjustment method is also developed to address potential biases in the self-assessment process at the business unit level. The evaluation model enables the prioritization and implementation planning of best practices in terms of their importance and achievability from the viewpoints of the organization, four BSC strategic perspectives, individual business units, and the overall implementation planning zone. An empirical study is conducted to demonstrate the applicability and effectiveness of the integrated evaluation and planning approach.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weber, Martin & Borcherding, Katrin, 1993. "Behavioral influences on weight judgments in multiattribute decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-12, May.
- Politis, Y. & Siskos, Y., 2004. "Multicriteria methodology for the evaluation of a Greek engineering department," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 223-240, July.
- Barker, Theresa J. & Zabinsky, Zelda B., 2011. "A multicriteria decision making model for reverse logistics using analytical hierarchy process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 558-573, October.
- James S. Dyer & Peter C. Fishburn & Ralph E. Steuer & Jyrki Wallenius & Stanley Zionts, 1992. "Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Theory: The Next Ten Years," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(5), pages 645-654, May.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing & Wang, Shih-Yi, 2007. "A survey and optimization-based evaluation of development strategies for the air cargo industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 550-562, April.
- Geldermann, Jutta & Bertsch, Valentin & Treitz, Martin & French, Simon & Papamichail, Konstantinia N. & Hämäläinen, Raimo P., 2009. "Multi-criteria decision support and evaluation of strategies for nuclear remediation management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 238-251, February.
- Kao, Chiang & Hung, Hsi-Tai, 2007. "Management performance: An empirical study of the manufacturing companies in Taiwan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 152-160, April.
- Hawk, SR & Aldag, RJ, 1990. "Measurement biases in user involvement research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 605-613.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing, 2001. "Evaluating airline competitiveness using multiattribute decision making," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 405-415, October.
- Nicholls, Miles G. & Cargill, Barbara J., 2011. "Establishing best practice university research funding strategies using mixed-mode modelling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 214-225, April.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W. & Zaim, Selim, 2010. "Measuring strategic decision making efficiency in different country contexts: A comparison of British and Turkish firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 95-104, February.
- Reijers, H. A. & Liman Mansar, S., 2005. "Best practices in business process redesign: an overview and qualitative evaluation of successful redesign heuristics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 283-306, August.
- Jiménez, Antonio & Mateos, Alfonso & Ríos-Insua, Sixto, 2009. "Missing consequences in multiattribute utility theory," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 395-410, April.
- Stewart, TJ, 1992. "A critical survey on the status of multiple criteria decision making theory and practice," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 569-586.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Morita, Hiroshi, 2010. "Benchmarking firm performance from a multiple-stakeholder perspective with an application to Chinese banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 501-508, December.
- Yeh, Chung-Hsing & Chang, Yu-Hern, 2009. "Modeling subjective evaluation for fuzzy group multicriteria decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(2), pages 464-473, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:1:p:65-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.