A multi-method evaluation of journals in the decision and management sciences by US academics
Numerous studies published in the academic literature address the issue of journal quality. However, little has been done to evaluate the broad set of journals pertinent to academic research in the decision and management sciences. This study examines the quality of such journals from a US point of view using both survey- and citation-based measures of journal quality. The survey-based measure is the perceived quality ratings assigned by US academics in the management science field. The citation-based measure is the impact factor, an indication of how often the articles in a journal are cited. This study finds that perceived quality ratings of the journals are positively correlated with citation impact factors. Also, both of these quality measures are found to be positively correlated with journal circulation and negatively correlated with acceptance rate. Journal quality ratings appear to vary across reviewers with different research interest areas and reviewers seem to rate journals higher if they have published in them.
Volume (Year): 28 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, M. J. & Brinn, T. & Pendlebury, M., 1996. "Judging the quality of research in business schools: A comment from accounting," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 597-602, October.
- Goh, C. H. & Holsapple, C. W. & Johnson, L. E. & Tanner, J., 1996. "An empirical assessment of influences on POM research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 337-345, June.
- Ormerod, R. J., 1997. "An observation on publication habits based on the analysis of MS/OR journals," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 599-603, October.
- Eom, S. B., 1995. "Decision support systems research: Reference disciplines and a cumulative tradition," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 511-523, October.
- repec:bla:joares:v:23:y:1985:i:1:p:84-109 is not listed on IDEAS
- Niemi, Albert W, Jr, 1987. " Institutional Contributions to the Leading Finance Journals, 1975 through 1986: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1389-1397, December.
- Bush, Winston C & Hamelman, Paul W & Staaf, Robert J, 1974. "A Quality Index for Economic Journals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 123-125, February.
- Mitchell, George, 1996. "Judging research quality and journals: A call for debate," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 613-613, October.
- Doyle, J. R. & Arthurs, A. J. & Green, R. H. & McAulay, L. & Pitt, M. R. & Bottomley, P. A. & Evans, W., 1996. "The judge, the model of the judge, and the model of the judged as judge: Analyses of the UK 1992 research assessment exercise data for business and management studies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 13-28, February.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "Aspects of the Production of Significant Financial Research," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(3), pages 777-786, June.
- Liebowitz, S J & Palmer, J P, 1984. "Assessing the Relative Impacts of Economic Journals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 77-88, March.
- Doyle, J. R. & Arthurs, A. J., 1995. "Judging the quality of research in business schools: The UK as a case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 257-270, June.
- Arthur M. Diamond Jr., 1986. "What is a Citation Worth?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(2), pages 200-215.
- Holsapple, CW & Johnson, LE & Manakyan, H & Tanner, J, 1994. "Business computing system research: Structuring the field," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 69-81, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:28:y:2000:i:1:p:17-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.