A multivariate study of spanish bond ratings
In this paper we analyse the ratings given in 1993 to the main Spanish banks, both private and governmental. We use 24 financial ratios obtained from the balance and the profit and loss accounts. Multidimensional scaling (MDS), a multivariate technique which is intuitive and robust to the data, forms the basis of the study. This is complemented with other multivariate statistical techniques such as cluster analysis, property fitting (ProFit) and discriminant analysis. The results identify the financial information that has been used by the rating agency. They also confirm the conjecture that other factors, such as the public or private character of the institution, have also been taken into account by the rating agents.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pogue, Thomas F. & Soldofsky, Robert M., 1969. "What's in a Bond Rating," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 201-228, June.
- Pinches, George E & Mingo, Kent A, 1973. "A Multivariate Analysis of Industrial Bond Ratings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Cecilio Mar-Molinero & Carlos Serrano-Cinca, 2001. "Bank failure: a multidimensional scaling approach," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 165-183.
- Pinches, George E & Mingo, Kent A, 1975. "The Role of Subordination and Industrial Bond Ratings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(1), pages 201-206, March.
- repec:bla:joares:v:4:y:1966:i::p:44-62 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ang, James S & Patel, Kiritkumar A, 1975. "Bond Rating Methods: Comparison and Validation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 631-640, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:4:p:451-462. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.