Empirical processes for infinite variance autoregressive models
The paper proposes new procedures for diagnostic checking of fitted models under the assumption of infinite-variance errors which are in the domain of attraction of a stable law. These procedures are functional of residual-based empirical processes. First, the asymptotic distributions of the empirical processes based on residuals are derived. Then two important applications in time series diagnostics are discussed. A goodness-of-fit test is developed using a functional of the empirical process based on residuals. Tests of independence of innovations are also considered. The finite-sample behavior of these tests are studied by simulation and comparison with the classical Portmanteau tests for ARMA models with infinite-variance developed recently by Lin and McLeod (2008)  is provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 107 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Genest, Christian & Ghoudi, Kilani & Remillard, Bruno, 2007. "Rank-Based Extensions of the Brock, Dechert, and Scheinkman Test," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 1363-1376, December.
- Davis, Richard A. & Knight, Keith & Liu, Jian, 1992. "M-estimation for autoregressions with infinite variance," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 145-180, February.
- Davis, Richard A., 1996. "Gauss-Newton and M-estimation for ARMA processes with infinite variance," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 75-95, October.
- Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui & Yao, Qiwei, 2007. "Weighted Least Absolute Deviations Estimation For Arma Models With Infinite Variance," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(05), pages 852-879, October.
- J.-W. Lin & A. I. McLeod, 2008. "Portmanteau tests for ARMA models with infinite variance," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 600-617, 05.
- Ghoudi, Kilani & Kulperger, Reg J. & Rémillard, Bruno, 2001. "A Nonparametric Test of Serial Independence for Time Series and Residuals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 191-218, November.
- Jiazhu Pan & Hui Wang & Qiwei Yao, 2007. "Weighted least absolute deviations estimation for ARMA models with infinite variance," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5405, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pena D. & Rodriguez J., 2002. "A Powerful Portmanteau Test of Lack of Fit for Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 601-610, June.
- Loretan, Michael Stanislaus & Kurz-Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2007. "A note on the coefficient of determination in regression models with infinite-variance variables," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Shiqing Ling, 2005. "Self-weighted least absolute deviation estimation for infinite variance autoregressive models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 67(3), pages 381-393.
- Lee, Sangyeol & Tim Ng, Chi, 2010. "Trimmed portmanteau test for linear processes with infinite variance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(4), pages 984-998, April.
- Lee, Sangyeol, 1997. "A note on the residual empirical process in autoregressive models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 405-411, April.
- Bai, J., 1994. "Stochastic Equicontinuity and Weak Convergence of Unbounded Sequential Empirical Proceses," Working papers 94-07, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Davis, Richard & Resnick, Sidney, 1985. "More limit theory for the sample correlation function of moving averages," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 257-279, September.
- Caner, Mehmet, 1998. "Tests for cointegration with infinite variance errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 155-175, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:107:y:2012:i:c:p:319-335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.