A multivariate version of Hoeffding's Phi-Square
A multivariate measure of association is proposed, which extends the bivariate copula-based measure Phi-Square introduced by Hoeffding . We discuss its analytical properties and calculate its explicit value for some copulas of simple form; a simulation procedure to approximate its value is provided otherwise. A nonparametric estimator for multivariate Phi-Square is derived and its asymptotic behavior is established based on the weak convergence of the empirical copula process both in the case of independent observations and dependent observations from strictly stationary strong mixing sequences. The asymptotic variance of the estimator can be estimated by means of nonparametric bootstrap methods. For illustration, the theoretical results are applied to financial asset return data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmid, Friedrich & Schmidt, Rafael, 2007. "Multivariate conditional versions of Spearman's rho and related measures of tail dependence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(6), pages 1123-1140, July.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joe, Harry, 1990. "Multivariate concordance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-30, October.
- Buhlmann, Peter & Kunsch, Hans R., 1999. "Block length selection in the bootstrap for time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 295-310, September.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
- Jean-David FERMANIAN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Copulas for Time Series," FAME Research Paper Series rp57, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Manuel Úbeda-Flores, 2005. "Multivariate versions of Blomqvist’s beta and Spearman’s footrule," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 57(4), pages 781-788, December.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- M. Taylor, 2007. "Multivariate measures of concordance," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 59(4), pages 789-806, December.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-161, October.
- Harry Joe, 1989. "Estimation of entropy and other functionals of a multivariate density," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 41(4), pages 683-697, December.
- Schmid, Friedrich & Schmidt, Rafael, 2007. "Multivariate extensions of Spearman's rho and related statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(4), pages 407-416, February.
- Paul Doukhan & Jean-David Fermanian & Gabriel Lang, 2009. "An empirical central limit theorem with applications to copulas under weak dependence," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 65-87, February.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Friedrich Schmid & Rafael Schmidt, 2007. "Nonparametric inference on multivariate versions of Blomqvist’s beta and related measures of tail dependence," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 323-354, November.