A multivariate version of Hoeffding's Phi-Square
A multivariate measure of association is proposed, which extends the bivariate copula-based measure Phi-Square introduced by Hoeffding . We discuss its analytical properties and calculate its explicit value for some copulas of simple form; a simulation procedure to approximate its value is provided otherwise. A nonparametric estimator for multivariate Phi-Square is derived and its asymptotic behavior is established based on the weak convergence of the empirical copula process both in the case of independent observations and dependent observations from strictly stationary strong mixing sequences. The asymptotic variance of the estimator can be estimated by means of nonparametric bootstrap methods. For illustration, the theoretical results are applied to financial asset return data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe, Harry, 1990. "Multivariate concordance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-30, October.
- Schmid, Friedrich & Schmidt, Rafael, 2007. "Multivariate conditional versions of Spearman's rho and related measures of tail dependence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(6), pages 1123-1140, July.
- Harry Joe, 1989. "Estimation of entropy and other functionals of a multivariate density," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 41(4), pages 683-697, December.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manuel Úbeda-Flores, 2005. "Multivariate versions of Blomqvist’s beta and Spearman’s footrule," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 57(4), pages 781-788, December.
- Schmid, Friedrich & Schmidt, Rafael, 2007. "Multivariate extensions of Spearman's rho and related statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(4), pages 407-416, February.
- M. Taylor, 2007. "Multivariate measures of concordance," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 59(4), pages 789-806, December.
- Buhlmann, Peter & Kunsch, Hans R., 1999. "Block length selection in the bootstrap for time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 295-310, September.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Jean-David FERMANIAN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Copulas for Time Series," FAME Research Paper Series rp57, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 133-161, October.
- Friedrich Schmid & Rafael Schmidt, 2007. "Nonparametric inference on multivariate versions of Blomqvist’s beta and related measures of tail dependence," Metrika- International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 323-354, November.
- Paul Doukhan & Jean-David Fermanian & Gabriel Lang, 2009. "An empirical central limit theorem with applications to copulas under weak dependence," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 65-87, February.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:101:y:2010:i:10:p:2571-2586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.