Do hospital mergers reduce costs?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & Aviv Nevo & Robert Town, 2015.
"Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(1), pages 172-203, January.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & Aviv Nevo & Robert Town, 2013. "Mergers When Prices are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry," NBER Working Papers 18875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leemore Dafny, 2009. "Estimation and Identification of Merger Effects: An Application to Hospital Mergers," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 523-550, August.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Justin R. Pierce, 2016.
"Evidence for the Effects of Mergers on Market Power and Efficiency,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2016-082, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Justin R. Pierce, 2016. "Evidence for the Effects of Mergers on Market Power and Efficiency," Working Papers 16-43, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Justin R. Pierce, 2016. "Evidence for the Effects of Mergers on Market Power and Efficiency," NBER Working Papers 22750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin S. Gaynor & Samuel A. Kleiner & William B. Vogt, 2015. "Analysis of Hospital Production: An Output Index Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(3), pages 398-421, April.
- Leemore Dafny & Kate Ho & Robin S. Lee, 2016. "The Price Effects of Cross-Market Hospital Mergers," NBER Working Papers 22106, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2004. "Firm size and the gains from acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 201-228, August.
- Vojislav Maksimovic, 2001.
"The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and Are There Efficiency Gains?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2019-2065, December.
- Gordon M Phillips & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1999. "The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and are there Efficiency Gains?," Working Papers 99-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2003. " Competition and Market Power in Option Demand Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 737-763, Winter.
- Kathleen Carey, 2000. "Hospital Cost Containment and Length of Stay: An Econometric Analysis," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 363-380, July.
- Ho, Vivian & Hamilton, Barton H., 2000. "Hospital mergers and acquisitions: does market consolidation harm patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 767-791, September.
- Robert H. McGuckin & Sang V. Nguyen, 1995. "On Productivity and Plant Ownership Change: New Evidence from the Longitudinal Research Database," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(2), pages 257-276, Summer.
- Dranove, David & Lindrooth, Richard, 2003. "Hospital consolidation and costs: another look at the evidence," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 983-997, November.
- Spang, Heather Radach & Arnould, Richard J. & Bazzoli, Gloria J., 2009. "The effect of non-rural hospital mergers and acquisitions: An examination of cost and price outcomes," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 323-342, May.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1987. "Productivity and Changes in Ownership of Manufactoring Plants," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3, Specia), pages 643-684.
- Preyra, Colin & Pink, George, 2006. "Scale and scope efficiencies through hospital consolidations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1049-1068, November.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Teresa D. Harrison, 2011. "Do Mergers Really Reduce Costs? Evidence From Hospitals," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(4), pages 1054-1069, October.
More about this item
KeywordsHospital mergers; Cost efficiencies;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:52:y:2017:i:c:p:74-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.