Hospital consolidation and costs: another look at the evidence
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Friedman, Bernard & Pauly, Mark, 1981. "Cost Functions for a Service Firm with Variable Quality and Stochastic Demand: The Case of Hospitals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 620-624, November.
- Dranove, David & Cone, Kenneth, 1985. "Do state rate setting regulations really lower hospital expenses?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 159-165, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Esther Gal‐Or, 1994. "Excessive Investment in Hospital Capacities," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 53-70, March.
- Siciliani, Luigi & Stanciole, Anderson & Jacobs, Rowena, 2009. "Do waiting times reduce hospital costs?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 771-780, July.
- Sara Fisher Ellison & Christopher M. Snyder, 2010. "Countervailing Power In Wholesale Pharmaceuticals," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 32-53, March.
- Daniel Friesner & Matthew McPherson & Robert Rosenman, 2006.
"Are Hospitals Seasonally Inefficient? Evidence from Washington State Hospitals,"
2006-3, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Friesner, Daniel L. & McPherson, Matthew Q. & Rosenman, Robert, 2006. "Are Hospitals Seasonally Inefficient? Evidence from Washington State Hospitals," Working Papers 12957, Washington State University, School of Economic Sciences.
- Ana Rodriguez‐Alvarez & David Roibás & Alan Wall, 2012. "Reserve Capacity Of Public And Private Hospitals In Response To Demand Uncertainty," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 839-851, July.
- Thomas Schaub, 1986. "Bestimmungsfaktoren der Kosten eines Allgemeinspitals," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 122(IV), pages 641-656, December.
- Jayasree Basu & Bernard Friedman, 2007. "A re‐examination of distance as a proxy for severity of illness and the implications for differences in utilization by race/ethnicity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(7), pages 687-701, July.
- Doeksen, Gerald A. & Peterson, Janet, 1987. "Critical Issues In The Delivery Of Local Government Services In Rural America," Staff Reports 277911, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Matthew C. Harris & Yinan Liu & Ian McCarthy, 2020. "Capacity constraints and time allocation in public health clinics," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(3), pages 324-336, March.
- Daniel Friesner & Robert Rosenman, 2002. "A Dynamic Property Rights Theory of the Firm," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 311-333.
- Dranove, David & Sfekas, Andrew, 2008. "Start spreading the news: A structural estimate of the effects of New York hospital report cards," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1201-1207, September.
- Krishnan, Ranjani, 2001. "Market restructuring and pricing in the hospital industry," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 213-237, March.
- Kurup, Hari K K, 2010. "On the estimation of hospital cost: the approach," MPRA Paper 22767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995.
"Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1993. "Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds," NBER Working Papers 4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Jiang & Bernard Friedman & Shenyi Jiang, 2013. "Hospital cost and quality performance in relation to market forces: an examination of U.S. community hospitals in the “post-managed care era”," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 53-71, March.
- Ching‐to Albert Ma & Thomas G. McGuire, 1993. "Paying For Joint Costs in Health Care," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 71-95, March.
- Dan Friesner & Robert Roseman & Matthew McPherson, 2008. "Are hospitals seasonally inefficient? Evidence from Washington State," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 699-723.
- C. A. Knox Lovell & Ana Rodríguez‐Álvarez & Alan Wall, 2009.
"The effects of stochastic demand and expense preference behaviour on public hospital costs and excess capacity,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 227-235, February.
- Lovell, Knox & Rodríguez-Álvarez, Ana & Wall, Alan, 2007. "The effects of Stochastic Demand and Expense Preference Behaviour on Public Hospital Cost and Excess Capacity," Efficiency Series Papers 2007/06, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- William P. Rogerson, 1994. "Choice of Treatment Intensities by a Nonprofit Hospital Under Prospective Pricing," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 7-51, March.
- Zhong, Zhen & Chen, Shufen & Kong, Xiangzhi & Tracy, Megan, 2014. "Why improving agrifood quality is difficult in China: Evidence from dairy industry," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 74-83.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:22:y:2003:i:6:p:983-997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.